Rock Chip Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wife's windshield got whacked with a rock a couple weeks back. She took it into the insurance company's recommended shop and they said because it got moisture in it the repair wouldn't come out too well.

Honestly, I can barely tell they did anything. I've had numerous rock chips repaired over the years and it's been virtually perfect. This is just terrible IMO.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this "moisture" thing? Whatever it is I'm not too pleased with the outcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 65

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I watch a lot of youtube videos of ( Chris Fix ) he has one on how to repair these glass chips .
I haven't watched it yet , but most everything he does is great .
Search youtube for Chris Fix videos , I'm sure you'll find it .

Good luck Sir

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So lemme understand this, they say moisture got in there yet couldn't break out a hair dryer or carefully use a heat gun beforehand? Sounds more like the tech doing the repair did a rush job and didn't dry the windex off enough after blowing the chip clear and wiping the area down before starting the polymer application.

*JustArmChairOpinionMindYou

Still, put that bit right in your insurance reps face and see what the reply is. If they can't fix it than the windshield could be replaced if you feel the need. Then it's just a matter of fighting to now not have to pay your deductible since technically loss of use and unsatisfactory repair constitutes a financial loss which they should then waive.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where do you live? We get one free windshield a year here without it affecting insurance. I don't ever want to go that route though because most of the guys doing it are hacks IMO.