rock sliders as side steps... need pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys

so this spring im going to be doing some upgrades to my truck and one of the things i want to do is rock sliders/ side steps. NOTE- I WIL NOT BE OFFROADING THIS TRUCK.

I was browsing ebay for side steps and fell upon some universal rock slider kits. I want tube steps as i am planning to get an ADD lite tube front bumper so i think itll make it all flow together better. Upon looking i noticed that these rock slider kits which can function as side steps and i think add a uniqueness to the truck actually are priced pretty well. I have found some universal kits pre-welded for about $200-250 that would go the length of the cab or for $330 would go flare to flare length.

I like these because they are a step up from standard side steps and look more truck worthy than the cheap looking NFAB or GO RHINO tube steps which cost about $400...

attached is the white knuckle garage website that makes a kit specifically for the ram (i emailed about price as its not listed) but gives you an idea of what it looks like.

has anyone done this? its too dark outside to look at my frame right now and see if theyd attach without problem but id assume id be okay side we have a true frame on the truck and not a unibody.

RAM 1500 Rock Sliders
https://totalmetalinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=50_51&products_id=167

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need to have them coated and I would suggest having a " quality shop" do the welding. For a truck that is never going to see dirt I would fore go the " Rock Slider " look, but if that is the look you want - Then go for it. Only time will tell how "step worthy" they are. Meaning they may be "ok " as a step function, but those are straight up rock sliders. Maybe get with a fan shop and see if they can't come up with something you
Like and even save some more money.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will need to have them coated and I would suggest having a " quality shop" do the welding. For a truck that is never going to see dirt I would fore go the " Rock Slider " look, but if that is the look you want - Then go for it. Only time will tell how "step worthy" they are. Meaning they may be "ok " as a step function, but those are straight up rock sliders. Maybe get with a fan shop and see if they can't come up with something you
Like and even save some more money.

That's why I like the steps by white knuckle cause they are specifically made for the ram. I can see your point about how well they will actually function as a step. They may be too high actually because like you said it's a rock slider not a side step.
I just think there isn't much in the means of good tube non stock style side steps. I don't mind the ICI Magnum side steps but I like the tube better.

I'll have to look around and see what fab shops are round Indianapolis area.

I planned to get the coated cause they come raw steel

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
a little over priced imo. actually, a lot overpriced.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I was thinking doing some rock sliders down the line also. I do offroad at times but don't think I'll bottom out as I have a 6" lift. Just for the added insurance plus the added benefit of a step. These don't hang low like my current amazon side step. Lol! Pretty sure with these you can either weld the step part straight or angled upwards like most guys do. Rock sliders over side steps any day no matter what the intended use.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They actually make a rock slider with the AMP steps built into them. They're called AMP PowerStep XL. They're a little more expensive then what you're looking at, but it will solve all your problems.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a little over priced imo. actually, a lot overpriced.

Why do you think they are over priced? They are actually cheaper than most of the side/ nerf bars out there.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
They actually make a rock slider with the AMP steps built into them. They're called AMP PowerStep XL. They're a little more expensive then what you're looking at, but it will solve all your problems.

Is it an actual rock slider? Will it survive if you bottom out on something? Looked like the regular power step but it retracts into a metal housing.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Just checked out the amp PowerStep XL and the original powerstep has a more stealth look. The xl being almost twice as much cost wise, kinda sticks out like an eye sore.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
White knuckle just emailed me back finally. Omgsh their sliders are $900. Ya no way that is happening!
I would much rather get the ones for $250 and weld the arms on myself

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if this is what your looking for or not. These are ICI Magnum RT steps. I bought them at realtruck.com for 349$. I know you can get them for that price anywhere but I can't recommend the customer service and eventual follow up any higher. They were fantastic to deal with.

43e50e0950e5f0494e1e4818eddcfd84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if this is what your looking for or not. These are ICI Magnum RT steps. I bought them at realtruck.com for 349$. I know you can get them for that price anywhere but I can't recommend the customer service and eventual follow up any higher. They were fantastic to deal with.

43e50e0950e5f0494e1e4818eddcfd84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

originally before wanted a set of tube steps these are the ones i wanted

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
White knuckle just emailed me back finally. Omgsh their sliders are $900. Ya no way that is happening!
I would much rather get the ones for $250 and weld the arms on myself

That's the price difference between a slider and a step. One is made from materials that are strong enough to hold the vehicle's weight from the frame, the other is made from materials strong enough to hold body weight from the rocker panel. You either want a slider or you don't but there aren't any cheap sliders.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's the price difference between a slider and a step. One is made from materials that are strong enough to hold the vehicle's weight from the frame, the other is made from materials strong enough to hold body weight from the rocker panel. You either want a slider or you don't but there aren't any cheap sliders.

if you check out my first post i posted a few links to DIY sliders that come pre welded for $250-300

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if you check out my first post i posted a few links to DIY sliders that come pre welded for $250-300

You linked to Toyota weld on sliders. 120 DOM for the main tube is too thin, combine the truck's weight and force and you'll fold them. Not to mention they are weld on, unfinished, and no kick-outs. If you actually need sliders you're going to dent the tubes and bend the horizontals. The main tube of the WK sliders is .25" box and you can specify 120 DOM or 188 DOM for the outers.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You linked to Toyota weld on sliders. 120 DOM for the main tube is too thin, combine the truck's weight and force and you'll fold them. Not to mention they are weld on, unfinished, and no kick-outs. If you actually need sliders you're going to dent the tubes and bend the horizontals. The main tube of the WK sliders is .25" box and you can specify 120 DOM or 188 DOM for the outers.

Correct they are for Toyota but have legs that you weld yourself therefore can be universal.

I mentioned that I don't plan to offered this and they are strictly for show and use as a side step. This truck is not going to off road or see rocks or need the weight of the truck on it

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why do you think they are over priced? They are actually cheaper than most of the side/ nerf bars out there.

maybe i looked at the wrong link, but i read the price at 800.00 .