Roof Rack to carry kayaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surgtech56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, just got a new 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Express Crew Cab in Deep Cherry Red Pearl. Never had a full sized truck before, been driving Jeeps for the past 12 years. We plan on towing a 23 ft Ameri-Lite Travel Trailer with it(it has trailer tow/trailer brakes/class iv hitch). I'm wondering if anyone has a roof rack for the cab or can recommend one, we have a couple of kayaks to carry. Thank you

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yakama makes some good racks and they have the Kayak carriers that you can attach to it.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yakima makes good stuff. I have three 10 ft boats I usually just haul to the river in the bed with a strap over them, no problem. I also tow a pop up camper, and for that I made a permanent rack mounted on top of the camper. I also have a simple ladder rack, that with a little. It of welding I made into a great kayak rack. The camper and ladder rack are in storage for the winter. I will get some pics when I get them out. I love Yakima but damn, they are so pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^Like these guys said, Yakima is the brand I've always heard to be the best.

I've been wondering what one of these newer Rams would look like with a roof rack. Seen several crewcab Silverados with them, but idk, seems like it might look weird on a Ram. It'd definitely be handy with the short bed.

If you do get one, post up pics for the rest of us.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to rf

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^Like these guys said, Yakima is the brand I've always heard to be the best.

I've been wondering what one of these newer Rams would look like with a roof rack. Seen several crewcab Silverados with them, but idk, seems like it might look weird on a Ram. It'd definitely be handy with the short bed.

If you do get one, post up pics for the rest of us.

I only use my rack if I am towing something. Depending on how long your boats are they should fit in the bed pretty well. I have a QCSB and I carry three 10 foot boats all the time. And that is with a tool box in the front of the bed. I just throw a strap over all of them and it holds just fine. Getting the boats up and down from the rack blows, so I only do it if I have to.

OP
OP
S

surgtech56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cwakfid, do you have a photo of how your securing hem to the truck? So the boats are hanging over the cab? Our boats are 11 & 12 ft. I was thinking about a rack for the cab, raise the boats onto the rack from the bed of the truck.
Thanks for the suggestions.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cwakfid, do you have a photo of how your securing hem to the truck? So the boats are hanging over the cab? Our boats are 11 & 12 ft. I was thinking about a rack for the cab, raise the boats onto the rack from the bed of the truck.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have a photo now. I will get some when I get them out of storage. My rack is just an old ladder rack I picked up on Craigslist for $50. I then welded posts going straight up out of 1 1/2 tubing. To give me something to fasten the boats to. They don't go over the cab much. But with a 12 ft boat it would stick out a little farther over the cab. When your not towing anything you can just put the tailgate down and strap them down. I have gone many miles like that. Won't work towing though.

Waterdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a photo now. I will get some when I get them out of storage. My rack is just an old ladder rack I picked up on Craigslist for $50. I then welded posts going straight up out of 1 1/2 tubing. To give me something to fasten the boats to. They don't go over the cab much. But with a 12 ft boat it would stick out a little farther over the cab. When your not towing anything you can just put the tailgate down and strap them down. I have gone many miles like that. Won't work towing though.

Old thread, but I'm in the same 'boat' LOL

Anyone have pictures of a Roof Rack on a Ram?

I've got a 14' kayak I need to mount up.