Rough Ride with new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a set of 305/55r20 Amp Terrain Grippers about 1.5 weeks ago. Ever since I got them put on, it seems like it rides rougher than it should. I know it went from the stock SR-A's to 10 ply almost mud terrains but I have read reviews saying that they ride smooth. I had a place re-balance my rear tires because I could tell at least one of them were off balance. The rough ride doesn't feel like an out of balance tire anymore though. Could they be out of round? It is more pronounced at interstate speeds, but I do notice it in town also, a little bit. Any Ideas?

picture.php

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I just got a set of 305/55r20 Amp Terrain Grippers about 1.5 weeks ago. Ever since I got them put on, it seems like it rides rougher than it should. I know it went from the stock SR-A's to 10 ply almost mud terrains but I have read reviews saying that they ride smooth. I had a place re-balance my rear tires because I could tell at least one of them were off balance. The rough ride doesn't feel like an out of balance tire anymore though. Could they be out of round? It is more pronounced at interstate speeds, but I do notice it in town also, a little bit. Any Ideas?

picture.php
Bigger tires like lower pressures.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pinnacleplumbing1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had new atturo trailblade mts put on my truck... the original shop tried balancing them twice but I was still getting vibrations over 60mph... brought the truck into a shop that did road force balancing and haven't had any issues since... road for balancing is much more accurate !!!

OP
OP
RamFam

RamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I'm running too much pressure. I've played around with from 40psi up to 60. Maybe 40 is still too high. That's where it is now when it's cold. I'll try lowering my pressure some more and see what that does. If it doesn't help, I might try finding a shop that does the road force balancing.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Maybe I'm running too much pressure. I've played around with from 40psi up to 60. Maybe 40 is still too high. That's where it is now when it's cold. I'll try lowering my pressure some more and see what that does. If it doesn't help, I might try finding a shop that does the road force balancing.

When I put 10 plys on my 2009 it road rough. just the nature of a 10 ply tire.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
10 ply is a stiff tire regardless of brand. Why did you go with a 10 ply on a half ton? Those tires are for some serious load without too much deflection, heck those are so stiff on your light weight truck they are nearly run flats <---- not really dont test that. Still thats a heavy duty tire designed for loaded down vehicle. Put about 300 pounds in the bed and in the cab itll ride better, lower but better once it flexes the tire.

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
10 ply is fine on a 1/2ton, heck almost all the 35" tires made are 10 ply. I run mine between 36-40 psi and it rides good, very smooth at highway speeds in fact. I would try a road force balance but I have a suspicion it's just those tires. There is a reason those tires are relatively cheap, the quality control isn't as good.

If the balancing doesn't work I'd talk to the shop about exchanging them for something else.

OP
OP
RamFam

RamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dropped it down to 35psi in the front and about 32 in the rear(cold pressure) and it seems to ride a lot better. There is still some roughness, but I think it's just the tires. I'm sure some new shocks probably wouldn't hurt either. I only have 35k miles on the truck, I'm sure that would help some too.