Running board for winter climate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does such thing exist?

I have (had) some Ionic running board that I purchase in May 2015. Even after a 2nd set of bracket that I had powder coated by a local shop the bracket rusted and the hardware is completely junk after 2 winters. I also had to fix the rocker panel in some spot since the rust started to spread in them...

I need something to help my 7yo and wife to get in the truck, but I don't feel like spending another 700$ (yes in Canada a 400$ USD running board cost that much) on something that will need to be changed in a year or two and damage my truck more.

Are the Mopar one the only solution? I was looking at the Westin HDX, but there's many report that the powder coating is flaking after a few months... The AMP powerstep are garbage with our climate.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I decided to try something. Since my boards are still in decent shape, I've order the Dee Zee bracket kit (DZ16336). I know they are not the same brand as my Ionic, but from the picture and video I saw they should work and look much better than what I had. Let's hope they come in undamaged, some comments on Amazon say that they are not box well and get damaged... Worse case I'll return them.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
My factory running boards have now been through two nasty midwest winters, and no signs of any problems. How often do you wash your truck in the winter? I wash mine once a month at a heated car wash, and make sure and get the boards underneath (and the undercarriage as much as possible), to get at least some of the road salt off. Seems to keep rust away quite well.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My oem step bars are aluminum and the brackets have plastic covers that cover most of the bracket. Other than washing the salt off often, like the guy above said, have you tried spraying them down with something like fluid film?

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the Westin HDX Drop Steps have been through one Ontario winter & the powder coating is still intact.

I used Corrosion Free rustproofing spray on the steps & brackets to help fight the salt & brine solution that they use so much on our roadways.

An aluminum option that I liked the look of was the Aries Advantage.
https://www.realtruck.com/aries-black-advantedge-running-boards/

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
i have OEM boards on mine since new and 6 years of salt they still look the same as new.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah if the deezee bracket doesn't work I think the safe solution will be to get the factory ones.

The truck got wash once a week and is rust proofed before winter. I used fluid film on the brackets and hardware... Everything else is rust free except for those brackets and hardware.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the Westin HDX Drop Steps have been through one Ontario winter & the powder coating is still intact.

I've ordered the HDX after viewing your thread about them, but like I said I've read 2 comments on different sites about the powder coating chipping off so I cancelled the order. Too bad because I was really digging them.

hdx.jpg

The ARIES board are aluminium, but they have steel bracket. What I like about the DeeZee brackets is that like your HDX they use the same factory holes and are braced so there's no chance of them flexing.

Galadaeros

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Sport ~ Copperhead Edition
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In the past (on my F150 boards) I have used rocker guard. It made the boards extremely durable and I had no rust issues at all. They survived Alberta winters year after year.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've ordered the HDX after viewing your thread about them, but like I said I've read 2 comments on different sites about the powder coating chipping off so I cancelled the order. Too bad because I was really digging them.

View attachment 87967

The ARIES board are aluminium, but they have steel bracket. What I like about the DeeZee brackets is that like your HDX they use the same factory holes and are braced so there's no chance of them flexing.

Thanks for the info....I'll have to keep an close eye on mine.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that sucks...

So the amazon comments were right... It's going back
8dac8fcf3adf3c2861b41142f141f9f1.jpg

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 87967

I'm very surprised at Westin not honoring their 3 year warranty based on that picture.
Warranty Policy | Westin Automotive

My steps got some rust on the mounting screws/nuts for the actual step plate over the winter. There are three screws/nuts per plate step.

I contacted Westin & after sending them a picture of the rusting screws they sent me a new hardware kit.

This time the screws/nuts are stainless steel. The install instructions mention that the existing hardware was prone to rusting.

I posted about it on this thread so everyone who has them could get the new hardware set. Any more recent purchases of the Drop Steps have the new hardware set included with instructions on replacing the old ones that are already installed.

Last edited:

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another option for you would be the Magnum RT steps...

Some people on the forums have complained about those rusting as well.

If mine start rusting after the warranty is up, I'll probably remove them & get them Linex'd....I've seen that done a few times with other running boards.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Nasta stainless running boards. All the brackets and hardware are 100% stainless steel. I put a liberal coat of Fluid Film between where the brackets meet the rockers. Unfortunately it seems Nasty went out of business...

Wise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Id steer clear of the magnum. They look good but after one winter and just the wrong side of their one year warranty they have chalked up looking gray and have rust spots.

Attachments

• 20170316_182728.jpg
    20170316_182728.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20170519_182035.jpg
    20170519_182035.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 59

Fyredude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine have been through 1 winter. No issues so far. I went with the Magnum RT's. Love the look and the steps.

Attachments

• IMG_20170107_140932.jpg
    IMG_20170107_140932.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 57

Fyredude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it comes a time when they start to show wear and or rust I'll repaint them with this! It's tough and has lasted 3 winter's with no chips! I used it on my winter rims. Just have to make sure it's prepared properly!

Attachments

• IMG_20161117_113002.jpg
    IMG_20161117_113002.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 60