Is this rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I crawled under my truck today (new 2017) and noticed what appears to be rust on a handful of parts under there. However I'm wondering if maybe this is actually an anti-rust coating maybe? Any thoughts?

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just surface rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Should I just spray it with the corrosion protectant or should I try and clean up the rust first?

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
It's interesting that the parts around it look pristine. I don't know what those particular parts are made out of but some materials are intended to form a surface oxidation layer to protect themselves. Those could also be made of cheap crap, hard to tell.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's interesting that the parts around it look pristine. I don't know what those particular parts are made out of but some materials are intended to form a surface oxidation layer to protect themselves. Those could also be made of cheap crap, hard to tell.

That's what confused me, how could a few of the parts be so covered and everything around it look like it just came off the factory floor.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what confused me, how could a few of the parts be so covered and everything around it look like it just came off the factory floor.

The type of metal and how its manufactured will lead some to rust faster than others. A cast steel part with no coating will get surface rust like this pretty quick.

If it bothers you just hit it with a wire brush to knock of the loose stuff spray it or paint it with a rust inhibitor as another member suggested and at that point you can also put a paint over that....

You can also clean it up very well to where it looks like regular metal color again and then paint it.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Totally normal.

The drive shaft will also start get a nice coat of surface rust. They are not treated from the factory.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks everyone! Good to know I'm just being paranoid. A can of s-100 is due to be delivered tomorrow so as long as it doesn't rain I plan to give pretty much whatever I can a good spray down.