Rust Prevention Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordSVT53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2015 Ram 1500 that has slight rusting on the undercarriage due to it being purchased from the owner in Michigan. I currently reside in VA and I have researched POR 15, Fluid Film, Rustoleum, etc. Ideally, I do not want to sand down the entire frame, since only spot treatment is needed, nor do I want to encapsulate the rust and take a chance at it coming back through. My thought would be to wire brush each spot to completely remove the rust, use etching to rough the area, apply POR 15, then apply fluid film to entire undercarriage for extra precaution. Does this seem logical? My concern is how the POR 15 will apply to the current coating that comes from the factory, but I also want something stronger than regular paint.

In the end, I want to treat the spots and prevent the rest of the frame from ever seeing that nasty substance. I want this truck to live a long life for the family, so any suggestions/thoughts are welcome. Thanks for the help everyone!

chrisg331

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Laramie CC LB 4x4
Engine
Cummins
I'd be interested in this info as well......just moved back to the rust belt......been a long, long time.

Ramped

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard good things about Chassis Saver from a body shop I use, another of many good one step options out there. I plan on pulling the inner fender liners and painting that inner fender lip, front and back, also down along the bottoms of the fenders behind all the wheels to slow down the inevitable cancer. Also ordered some plastic washers for the rear fender liner bolts, which are metal on metal and am seeing some rust starting there on my '14.