Sadly, it's about that time. If you measure snow by the foot, come on in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, it's time for winter tire shopping for our awesome Canadian winters. The winter tires that were on my Laramie are done, so new truck, new tires! Was wondering what you guys recommend. My last set lasted two seasons, which is garbage. So looking around for suggestions.

I really love the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires for their aggressive look but seem to rate around 8.5/10 for winter use so not the best option out there as a dedicated winter tire. Any suggestions from fellow members that also deal with snow by the foot? would love to hear from folks that uses these tires for snow and ice but open to any suggestions. I've got 18" steel rims for the winter so at least I don't have to buy 20" tires. Pretty sure they're 265 /65

Thanks!
Dan

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a few local quotes today actually. 275/60/20 Hercules Xtreme Winters which are apparently made by cooper, $950 with mount and balance plus taxes. 305/55/20 Saulin Terramax AT's with 80,000km warranty and are winter rated have my attention, they look great, $1,000 with mounting and balancing.

My winter tire history:
Hankook Ipike
Black Lion (el cheapo china) studded, these were awesome
Zeta Antarctica on my wife's SUV, good value tire

Last edited:

GabAlmighty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone up here runs Duratracs, i've never had a set but haven't heard of anyone complaining about them... Except that they wear pretty quick due to the soft compound. Personally i'm one just one of those guys that runs a mud terrain in the winter and calls it good as I usually go play around in the snow a bit.

I did run Hankook Dynapro RT03's on a 4runner I had back in the day. They were a nice all around mud terrain and I didn't mind them in the snow. Also studable I believe if you're in to that.

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I run Duratracs on the stock wheels, stock size, in the winter best snow tire I've been on yet.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are looking at a dedicated snow tire get a real snow tire, not a winter rated tire that you can run all year. The Duratracs are an aggressive looking tire but are only siped halfway through the tread pattern so the second half of tire wear has no sipes and is not good for winter at all.

Look into dedicated snow tires, Michelin makes some great ones.

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are looking at a dedicated snow tire get a real snow tire, not a winter rated tire that you can run all year. The Duratracs are an aggressive looking tire but are only siped halfway through the tread pattern so the second half of tire wear has no sipes and is not good for winter at all.

Look into dedicated snow tires, Michelin makes some great ones.

Right, I am indeed looking for dedicated ones. Been also looking at the Blizzak DMV2s as an option, they seem to rate very well.

Fish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Cooper ATW's for my truck and they are decent enough. I put BFG blizzaks on my wife's Jeep and they are way better for traction and wear on the roads. Next set for the Ram will be the BFG's

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Canadian tire cooper atws all weather tires low noise went through a freeze thaw winter in Manitoba lots of ice great tires.:roflsquared: 85k tread wear

Attachments

• 20170201_153545.jpg
    20170201_153545.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 55

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run coopers year round - if I was to run just a " winter tire" I would run the tread wright guard dogs with the kedge grip. But that's just me

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cooper ATW's I run the whole winter gambit of weather I am all over NE driving

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Blizzaks DM V1's for winter, absolutely LOVE them in the gloomy months. They updated them I believe with the DM V2, so have improved on the design. Can't go wrong with a set. Or a dedicated winter tire from any of the names for that matter.... Michelin X ice, Yokohama, Goodyear, etc. Winter tires have it over any all season in the winter months, they have that soft compound that can deal with icy conditions better than the others can't.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Blizzaks DM V1's for winter, absolutely LOVE them in the gloomy months. They updated them I believe with the DM V2, so have improved on the design. Can't go wrong with a set. Or a dedicated winter tire from any of the names for that matter.... Michelin X ice, Yokohama, Goodyear, etc. Winter tires have it over any all season in the winter months, they have that soft compound that can deal with icy conditions better than the others can't.

Exactly! It's not just about the tread pattern, it's the softer compound. Just make sure you swap back to your regular tires before the temperature goes above 5 degrees Celsius.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have the general altimac arctic on the wifes accord for winter tires. We've had them for at least 3 seasons now and they have been fantastic and barely look worn. Id buy again, however it is my first ever dedicated snow/ice tire so I dont havr anything to compare them too .

Attachments

• 20160312_143655.jpg
    20160312_143655.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 31

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run the Duratracs on my stock 20's for the winter and they were great last year.....no complaints at all.

Canadian Tire always has them on sale & a lot of tire shops will price match. If you buy them at Canadian Tire I'd be leery about have them mount & balance them.

GXyen6r.jpg

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use the cooper AT3 here for snow driving and they work well. The Falkon Wildpeak AT3w i heard is an awesome tire and is severe seevice rated.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How are the Michelin LTX M/S? That's what Discount Tire recommend to me for winter tires here in MN.

hscustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not sure if anyone has said anything yet but I would avoid the duratrac ! My shop has warrantied 4 set in the past 2 week !

In all honesty a real winter tire (toyo observe g3 ice, blizzak DMV2) are they best bang for buck. Sadly they don't come in bigger sizes. If your looking for a decent winter that bigger then the factory size I'd recommend the BFG KO2. I personally run them cause of the luck we have had. But word of caution. They are pricey and will not last as long as many other tires but they are really good in our canadian winters.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP is looking for a dedicated Winter Tire. Why are people talking about all seasons?

^^^^ Duratrac sowkr great, but again, siping will wear half way through tread life and you'll have a drop in performance for that very reason.

I Run Blizzak DM-V2 on my 2wd Ram, 285/45r22, work amazing. Dedicated Winter tires, unsurpassed grip in wet, ice, snow etc. There isnt many options in 33"ish snows, Michelin doesnt make anyting big enough. The Hercules are a entry level budget friendly winter, but interior ride comfort and overall performance wont hold a candle to a blizzak.

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly! It's not just about the tread pattern, it's the softer compound. Just make sure you swap back to your regular tires before the temperature goes above 5 degrees Celsius.

Here in Quebec it's regulated. You have to have winter tires installed by Dec 15th and can only remove them after March 15th.

Dan

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP is looking for a dedicated Winter Tire. Why are people talking about all seasons?

^^^^ Duratrac sowkr great, but again, siping will wear half way through tread life and you'll have a drop in performance for that very reason.

I Run Blizzak DM-V2 on my 2wd Ram, 285/45r22, work amazing. Dedicated Winter tires, unsurpassed grip in wet, ice, snow etc. There isnt many options in 33"ish snows, Michelin doesnt make anyting big enough. The Hercules are a entry level budget friendly winter, but interior ride comfort and overall performance wont hold a candle to a blizzak.

Thanks bgray, I'm thinking it'll be blizzak's this time around. I need to pull out my old winter tires and see what they were, the tread wear was WAY too fast and I generally wait last minute and take them off ASAP to avoid premature wear.

Dan