Satin black to gloss black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc1609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just thinking about changing my satin black wheels to a gloss black finish. Is there a way to do this easily like adding multiple layers of clear coat or am I limited to powder coating? I know painting is an option, but I'd rather powdercoat if there isn't an easy way to do it...thoughts or experiences?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
U can paint over powder coat but the paint won't be as strong as the powder coat but it will look good and cost much less. I woukd use a high quality automotive clear coat like a 2k urethane.

U can also gloss black powdercoat them or even black chrome them but the wheels need to come off and the tires and sensors etc.

OP
OP
Doc1609

Doc1609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
U can paint over powder coat but the paint won't be as strong as the powder coat but it will look good and cost much less. I woukd use a high quality automotive clear coat like a 2k urethane.

U can also gloss black powdercoat them or even black chrome them but the wheels need to come off and the tires and sensors etc.

So with the paint and clear coat, I would be fine masking the tires off? Would just clear coat added to the satin black work or do I need to paint it?

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you use a gloss clear it will make your satin black shine.

OP
OP
Doc1609

Doc1609

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you use a gloss clear it will make your satin black shine.

I may have to try this and hope it matches my paint. I would like to have them close to matching. It's a black edition and I think it would look much better that way. If it doesn't, I know my powder coater can get super close.