School me on 37s vs 315 70 r18 with 3.21s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Long story short I'm looking to do either a 4" or 6" lift this summer. I know a lot of people say that 37s with 3.21s is a no go so I was looking at the toyo 315 70r18 and was doing some research. The toyo is 82lbs and the 37" Bf Goodrich I was looking into is lighter at 74lbs. I do realize the toyo are E rated and the BFG are D rated. My current 295 70 r18 Nittos are 69lbs. Other than the obvious loss of revolutions, gas mileage and the slight power loss wouldn't the lighter 37 cause less stress on the drive train? My driving factor is reliability of the drivetrain. Not really concerned with mileage as I will have a everyday beater. The truck will only see light "off road" driving for camping and beach driving down the outer banks other than that she's a street queen.

Any help/ insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 37x12.50R20's weigh 76lbs, one reason why I chose them. My tires are only 3lbs heavier than the 35x12.50R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers that a lot here run. I have 3.92's but my truck still spins the tires going around corner with only partial throttle. I too was worried when reading all the warnings but when I picked up my truck from lift install and left the offroad shop I was happy to still feel plenty of power. Not sure how 3.21 would be though.

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I definitely know I'm not gonna be winning any races so some power loss doesn't bother me. I usually drive like a gramps in this thing anyway but I can easily spin tires with my Nittos now.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don’t want to change the subject in this thread, but can you please explain what D/E rated means and what the difference is?

Btw, if you’re worried about weight of the tires, look into the weight of the rims too. You’d be surprised by how much different the same size rims can be in weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Don’t want to change the subject in this thread, but can you please explain what D/E rated means and what the difference is?

Btw, if you’re worried about weight of the tires, look into the weight of the rims too. You’d be surprised by how much different the same size rims can be in weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
E tires are 10 ply and have a higher load rating and higher psi rating, the more ply the more rugged they are as well. D is 8ply

BogsRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 17" rims with 37" Nitto's and 3.21's and have a few mods, but it's not a slug by any means