Setting Rivnuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok so I've been having some conversation in the HDX Drop Step thread but I don't want to pollute that thread with my problems any further. The guys over there have been great but I feel it's time to start a separate thread for this issue.

So, how the f do you set a rivnut? I've tried the nut and bolt method that is shown in a bunch of youtube video. I can confirm it does work as I managed to get one rivnut set. But every other one I've tried, the bolt has just backed out of the rivnut instead of compressing it. What the heck is the trick? Is it worth buying something like this tool: https://www.amazon.com/Rivnut-Insert-Setting-Tool-Nutsert/dp/B01N53J95N/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1488412428&sr=8-4&keywords=rivnut%2Btool&th=1?

I'm getting super frustrated and about to just say screw it and pay somebody to install these damn steps, but there's really no reason I should need to in order to get something bolted onto the dang truck. I just can't get these dang rivnuts to compress consistently. For what it's worth, I'm using these rivnuts from Amazon because the ones include in the hardware kit were horrible.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You need to hold the head on the bolt in a fixed position, you then tighten the nut/washer setup which forces the rivnut to compress inside the frame. If the bolt is coming out of the rivnut either the bolt is moving or the rivnut is, neither should be. I always use a plastic washer in between two regular washer to help add some "slip".

bolt------nut----washer----plastic_washer-----washer-----rivnut

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So the rivnut needs to fit pretty tightly in the hole? None of what I have fits tightly. I'd have to go up to an M10 for that but the bolts in the installation kit are M8 so I'd need to go buy all new bolts for that.

This is the main video I've been watching, which I got from the other thread. Now I'm thinking maybe the nut I have is too small, the one in the video looks like its just slips over the bolt instead of screwing on. But in that video, they appear to hold the nut and tighten the bolt. I guess the nut being bigger keeps the bolt from completely going into the rivnut but still allows it to turn (where my setup stops turning when the nut and bolt meet). Should I be using a fairly long bolt? I feel like once I get the hang of this I'm literally going to hit myself upside the head because it doesn't look hard, but damn I'm having a hard time with this.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha ha you beat Mme to the punch , I was just gonna say the nut must not spin

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was helping you out in the other thread and totally forgot to tell you to ditch the wrench to thread the bolt and use an impact with a socket attachment. Works way way better at quickly compressing the rivnut. I just installed 6 under 2 minutes for the tow mirror support brackets using a battery operated impact driver with a socket attached.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never used one of those things, I find good luck with the tool that sets them like a pop rivet.... Use them a bunch on fab'n stuff for our fire trucks where access is limited to even use the tool, the one you are using may come in handy for tight quarter installations

Might want to look into some of the other pop rivet type tools show in the other people looked at suggested stuff in your link you posted. I bought 2 kits, one metric and one standard (you don't need 2 kits just one tool with the attachments) each kit was $30ish.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks guys. Looks like another trip to the hardware store is in my future. Gonna pick up a slightly longer 8mm bolt, a few extra washers and a bigger nut. How I don't already have this stuff in my garage is beyond me, but oh well, nuts and bolts are cheap. I'll also grab a socket extension for my drill; I don't have an impact driver. I do have an air powered impact wrench but with my luck that'll rip the rivnut right out of the rocker panel.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was helping you out in the other thread and totally forgot to tell you to ditch the wrench to thread the bolt and use an impact with a socket attachment. Works way way better at quickly compressing the rivnut. I just installed 6 under 2 minutes for the tow mirror support brackets using a battery operated impact driver with a socket attached.

I'll try a drill, no battery powered impact here. I have an air impact but I think I'll pass on trying to use that to set a rivnut. Way too much torque coming out of that thing.

I appreciate all the advice from the other thread and thanks for popping in here too. Didn't want to pollute your thread any further with something like setting a rivnut when we should all be talking about how great the steps look over there lol. I'll pop back in when I finally get them installed and post pictures.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I have a bag of these riv-nut's from when I put my Hi-Lift, shovel and ax in the bed of me truck. I used a bolt that had hex head on it and got a socket to fit it, you put it on the ratchet so you can apply inward pressure and then using a ratcheting box end wrench to tighten the nut down. Keep tightening it until it stops wiggling and then give it 1.5 -2 turns more to make sure it's solid.

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of these HDX steps sitting here for my Ram. I might get time to tackle it this weekend. After reading this I'm scared to open the box. Lol. I have no experience with these rivnuts so I guess it's going to be a learning curve. Thanks to everybody for the tips. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I have a set of these HDX steps sitting here for my Ram. I might get time to tackle it this weekend. After reading this I'm scared to open the box. Lol. I have no experience with these rivnuts so I guess it's going to be a learning curve. Thanks to everybody for the tips. Much appreciated.

Don't be intimidated, they're easy to do. Once you do a couple you'll get a method down and they'll flow like water.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I will be honest, if you've never done it, it hasn't been as easy as it looks. However, I think once you get the hang of it, it should be easy. I bought some more stuff this morning and if it works out, I'll post a list of what I used to set the rivnuts so you hopefully don't have all the trial and error that I'm having. I will say just go ahead and order the rivnuts I posted earlier. The ones in the kit suck hard. I may have to get a 10mm for the hole I tried the rivnut from the kit on because it might be blown out a little for an 8mm. I hope that's not the case but if it is, it is. Definitely don't be intimidated but maybe buy some extra rivnuts and try on scrap metal or some big washers first before you try on your truck lol; I sure wish I would have.

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be honest, if you've never done it, it hasn't been as easy as it looks. However, I think once you get the hang of it, it should be easy. I bought some more stuff this morning and if it works out, I'll post a list of what I used to set the rivnuts so you hopefully don't have all the trial and error that I'm having. I will say just go ahead and order the rivnuts I posted earlier. The ones in the kit suck hard. I may have to get a 10mm for the hole I tried the rivnut from the kit on because it might be blown out a little for an 8mm. I hope that's not the case but if it is, it is. Definitely don't be intimidated but maybe buy some extra rivnuts and try on scrap metal or some big washers first before you try on your truck lol; I sure wish I would have.

Cool thanks. I've done lots of stuff on trucks just never with these rivnuts.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I haven't had a lot to do on this truck yet because it's new but I basically tore the whole front end of my second gen apart and put it back together so I'm not totally incompetent but damn if these rivnuts don't make me feel incompetent lol.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Alright, thanks to all the folks who made suggestions. You all got me over the finish line. So what I ended up using was an M8-1.25x50 hex head bolt, 2 M8 washers, an M10 nut and 2 external tooth lock washers. I couldn't get a drill into the space between the frame and the body panels so I pre-compressed the nuts a little with a drill outside the hole, just until it was a slightly snug fit going in. Then I used a wrench and socket to compress fully in the hole. I found it easier to push in with the socket to hold the rivnut flat and turn the nut until the rivnut compressed enough to stay in and then torqued it down with the socket.

Thanks again everyone for the help!