Shake when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemipwrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any help will be appreciated, when I go to stop I get a shake when I'm braking. It doesn't matter what speed I'm going either. Now here's the interesting part, it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it'll be every time I stop other times I could go an entire day with nothing. So I replaced the front brakes, balanced the tires and rotated them too thinking that might be what's causing it. It still happens. Alignment is spot on as well. What am I missing???? Any ideas???

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any help will be appreciated, when I go to stop I get a shake when I'm braking. It doesn't matter what speed I'm going either. Now here's the interesting part, it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it'll be every time I stop other times I could go an entire day with nothing. So I replaced the front brakes, balanced the tires and rotated them too thinking that might be what's causing it. It still happens. Alignment is spot on as well. What am I missing???? Any ideas???

Replaced front brakes...did that include rotors & calipers or just pads ??

Could also be wheel bearings or ball joints or tie rod ends or steering rack acting up or a bad strut/shock.

Did you have an alignment done ? or are you going by how it drives/tires wear ?

OP
OP
hemipwrd

hemipwrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Replaced front brakes...did that include rotors & calipers or just pads ??

Could also be wheel bearings or ball joints or tie rod ends or steering rack acting up or a bad strut/shock.

Did you have an alignment done ? or are you going by how it drives/tires wear ?

Replaced both pads and rotors. I also put in bilstiens all around. Had an alignment done after. I had the shake prior to the bilstiens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does the steering wheel shake when it happens? If not, you may have replaced the brakes on the wrong end of the truck.

OP
OP
hemipwrd

hemipwrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does the steering wheel shake when it happens? If not, you may have replaced the brakes on the wrong end of the truck.

It does, but very rarely. More on a panic stop than just regular stop.

OP
OP
hemipwrd

hemipwrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you check the rears ?

I have not, read a couple places that might be the culprit but didn't just want to throw parts at it since it's a 2012 with only 44k on it. Seems like it might be a good idea though.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
One way to check the rears is to apply the e brake slowly, if the rear rotors are warped that will show you pretty quickly.

Would do that on a road by your self. :)

OP
OP
hemipwrd

hemipwrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
One way to check the rears is to apply the e brake slowly, if the rear rotors are warped that will show you pretty quickly.

Would do that on a road by your self. :)

It's worth a shot, thanks

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Replaced both pads and rotors. I also put in bilstiens all around. Had an alignment done after. I had the shake prior to the bilstiens.

I had bilstiens on my 97, and they worked great.......but the ones on my jeep now....well, let's say I am not gonna recommend them.

I am also not so sure they aren't part of the problem with a similar shake in mine from time to time. Didn't have the problem until I put the bilstiens on.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
shake may come from bad front rotors...
I replaced my rotors ( on a Toyota Landcruiser) with cheap ones and soon I had the shake back again
it was explained to me by a metalurgist that Chinese rotors are made from inferior steel that have hard spots in the grain of the metal... they quickly wear and start shaking again due to the hard spots on the rotors dragging the pads
I then replaced them with quality rotors from
Brake Rotors Brake Discs Drilled Slotted Rotors
shake went away permanently and I have driven about 20K miles with the good rotors

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Could it be a loose damaged ball joints? Sway bars? This is definitely weird. Ummm..... could it be air in the lines? Maybe a pinched brake line? When they lifted did they extend brake lines?

On my 2008 Ram I had to do a sudden stop due to a GIANT buck I'd normally wouldn't see during hunting season. He came close to being a hood ornament LOL. Anyways, after that incident I had the shake and warped rotor feeling and shake. As suggested test the rear rotors. As they will be used when really hammering the brakes. From what i understand. Light load uses mainly front.

OP
OP
hemipwrd

hemipwrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for all input and replies. Seemed like the general consensus was the rear brakes, so I went ahead and replaced them. And to my surprise...the shake is gone.

outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had that same thing happen, I had wheel adapters and took them off and it made it quit, or so I think. I'll have to keep this in mind if it's still happening

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye