Side step/under door lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaronmaff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 4WD, Quad Cab, Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently got some GoRhino side steps from CarID and had an issue seeing them at night.

Thanks to another thread about running board lighting here: [http://www.ramforum.com/f41/my_running_board_lighting_mod_bed_lighting_mod_other_lighting_mods-62168/], I did something similar but in a different way.

Instead of going underneath the truck near the running boards, I installed them under the inside of the door.
I also tied the lights into the footwell lighting so they come on when I unlock the truck or open the door, but the light isn't visible until you open the door to light up the side steps.

Although the color "theme" of my truck and lighting is going to be blue, I decided nice white light was the way to go in this case. If you're looking for a good walk through of finding the footwell lighting wiring, check out the link above.

You can check out the photos HERE (until I get them up somewhere else I can embed them in the post)

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am doing simmilar i bought on fleabag a led under glow kit for a ricer had 2 48" bars and 2 24" bars i am attaching them to the bottom of my kicker so it will illuminate the step and then patching it into the puddle light circuit once it all comes i will post pictures

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I installed 4 A Series Rigid lights wired into the cargo light switch before I installed my AMP power steps. Now I have the AMP lighting as well.

Oldish video, pardon the filthy truck...

[yt]Ivcd7vCqou8[/yt]

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
That's a cool idea. Although with my 2011 and now my 2016 I always found that once the doors were open there was enough light to see the step rails. Will have to test that theory in a place with no outside lighting

OP
OP
A

Aaronmaff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 4WD, Quad Cab, Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed 4 A Series Rigid lights wired into the cargo light switch before I installed my AMP power steps. Now I have the AMP lighting as well.

[yt]Ivcd7vCqou8[/yt]

Very cool. Where is the cargo light switch?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
the cargo light switch is under the headlight switch. By wiring them into that circuit, he lights come on when I unlock the truck with the key fob. Much brighter than the OEM puddle lights. The AMP lights only come on when the door is opened and the steps deploy.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

[yt]Ivcd7vCqou8[/yt]

Are you using your obd2 port for the steps, or did you hard wire them to the truck. ?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm using the OBD port. I ordered the pass-through cord so I don't have to un plug them to use the port for diagnostics

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm using the OBD port. I ordered the pass-through cord so I don't have to un plug them to use the port for diagnostics

link to the cord you purchased ? I'm using OBD2 as well, it's getting a bit old, I need to re-calibrate my tires, I'm off by a few MPH, and it's starting to get annoying.