Snow Tires: Discoverer M+S vs. Duratrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am looking for a set of dedicated snow / winter tires and have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

- Cooper Discoverer M&S 275/60R20 119S XL BSW: 4 for $720
- Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/60R20 115S: 4 for $920

Pros of the Discoverer:
- $200 Cheaper per set of 4
- Probably a better snow / slush / ice tire than the Duratrac
- Probably quieter than the Duratrac
- Not a bad off-road tire

Cons of the Discoverer:
- Probably not as good as DEEP SNOW tire as the Duratrac
- Probably not as good as an off-road tire as the Duratrac
- Doesn't look as cool as the as the Duratrac

Pros of the Duratrac:
- Looks cool
- Probably a better DEEP SNOW snow tire than the Discoverer
- Probably a better off-road tire than the Discoverer

Cons of the Duratrac:
- Cost $200 more than the Discoverer
- Some consider it noisy
- Probably not as good of a icy road / slush tire as the Discoverer

I really do not venture off road and the truck's primary use is as a commuter vehicle. Secondary use would be towing my 2-place enclosed snowmobile trailer and a couple of snowmobiles. In my region (Western New York), we often get some serious lake effect snow but all municipalities are well equipped for it and plow all of the roads well and often.

I would be interested on people thoughts and experience with these 2 tires, and their winter / snow performance.

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have 275/65/20 duratacs on my 2016 Sport. Ran them since I’ve had the truck. Got the truck November 2016 so I’m going into my second winter with them now.

They performed excellent in snow, ice and on pavement. Depending on mud types it would vary. They LOVE to pickup the mud and stones in the tread. Last summer I ripped through a development zone here and it was wet clay and it was like walking on a floor covered in dish soap. Slippery as hell but it wasn’t deep mud so I kept moving. Hit pavement and it was slippery for the first 100-200 ft while it threw **** all over the place till the tread cleared.

As for road noise. Honestly. I have no issue with them. Mine are inflated to 39-41 psi depending outside temperature and length of drive.

I have zero experience with cooper discover but brother in law had discoverer SST pro in a 12.5/20/35” and the tread didn’t last, scrubbed quick and was slippery as F on pavement. Loud as all hell too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem with Duratracs is the winter sipes do t go all the way through the tread, maybe halfway at best but I’m not even sure that far. Once the tire wears down past the sipes it is basically a mud tire at that point and no good in the snow.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Neither of these are dedicated snow tires. Yes they have sipes, but they aren't the softer tire compound. It won't do any better than an all season tire.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of different opinions and winter driving styles and winter conditions. I’ve never had a set of sipped or studded tires, I do drive in the snow/ice, but I have also never put a set of chains or cables on anything I own. So the reality is how are you in the snow? How do you drive?, do you have problems? TreadWright offers a “ Kedge grip” on their tires “ they put ground up glass and I think walnut shells into the tread compound” as the tire wears it spits the shell”s out to live little pits, and the ground up glass acts like sand papper, they are fckn amazing. If you are set on name brand tires, look for some Nitto”s or possibly a different cooper tire, or Toyo”s. What tires have you ran in the past that you where happy with? Everyone has different views and you are going to get a lot of different answers. To best help you just provide a little more info on the actual road conditions you are looking to best conquer-

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To best help you just provide a little more info on the actual road conditions you are looking to best conquer-

Snowy, slushy, and icy roads for 4+ months per year, with the occasional black ice.

These will be dedicated rims that will run from Thanksgiving until almost Easter.

I have had Bridgestone Blizzaks before and they work great in the slush and ice, but they are pricey and where quickly.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Snowy, slushy, and icy roads for 4+ months per year, with the occasional black ice.

These will be dedicated rims that will run from Thanksgiving until almost Easter.

I have had Bridgestone Blizzaks before and they work great in the slush and ice, but they are pricey and where quickly.

If these are dedicated winter tires then get a real winter tire, not a 4 season tire. The difference between them is quite a lot. Although pricey a good name brand winter tire will perform better and probably last longer than a cheaper 4 season tire.

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If these are dedicated winter tires then get a real winter tire, not a 4 season tire. The difference between them is quite a lot. Although pricey a good name brand winter tire will perform better and probably last longer than a cheaper 4 season tire.

I know what you are saying but both the Cooper Discoverer M&S and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac are getting good reviews for their winter / snow performance. And in fact, Discount Tire Direct recommends the Cooper Discoverer M&S as a WINTER (not all season) tire for my Ram.

The Discoverer M+S™ is Cooper´s premium studdable winter SUV/Light truck tire designed for drivers looking for excellent traction on snow and ice. The Discoverer M+S™ line fits a wide range of SUVs and Light trucks, foreign and domestic. Strategically-Placed Stud Pin Holes.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem is that a lot of people who review these tires have never used a true snow tire, or they don't live where you are in snow 6 months of the year.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get a cheapie set of 18" wheels and a dedicated snow/ice tire. Thank us later.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run coopers atp”s. Before that I ran tread Wright’s. I’ve ran in all types of snow conditions, never had a problem. IMO opinion the simplest thing for u is find a cheap set of take offs 18”s or 17”s and go with the coopers, they will be fine.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run coopers atp”s. Before that I ran tread Wright’s. I’ve ran in all types of snow conditions, never had a problem. IMO opinion the simplest thing for u is find a cheap set of take offs 18”s or 17”s and go with the coopers, they will be fine.

Says the guy from California....

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dig into the reviews and you will find a lot of them from locations that don’t get much snow or none at all. Places that get one or two days of snow a year aren’t a good scenario to test a snow tire. Or places where it snows and then melts.

Living in the northern areas where you snow, slush, freezing rain, and ice are the true tests and a dedicated snow tire will be night and day above a 4 season tire.

I’m not sure about the Cooper but go look at a half worn Duratrac and see what the tread looks like, not something you would want to run in snow.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Where I live I can tell you there is a MASSIVE difference between a 4 season tire and a dedicated snow tire when the mercury dips past -25°. When you get to the -40° to -45° a 4 season tire might as well be a hockey puck. Even in deep snow and on ice you can tell the difference. We have two seasons here. "Not winter" and "Is today the day I freeze to death?"

I have nothing to add to this thread other than that, so carry on :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem with Duratracs is the winter sipes do t go all the way through the tread, maybe halfway at best but I’m not even sure that far. Once the tire wears down past the sipes it is basically a mud tire at that point and no good in the snow.

I am leaning towards the Cooper's. Mavis Tire will sell me a set of 4 for $700 (including 8% sales tax).

The Discoverer M+S™ is Cooper´s premium studdable winter SUV/Light truck tire designed for drivers looking for excellent traction on snow and ice. The Discoverer M+S™ line fits a wide range of SUVs and Light trucks, foreign and domestic.

- Strategically-Placed Stud Pin Holes. Provide enhanced stud retention while delivering optimum traction on ice.
- "D Squared" D2 Sipe Technology. A dense zig-zag sipe pattern further enhances winter performance while maintaining excellent wet traction. The sipes are deep to provide performance benefits throughout the life of the tire.
- "Snow-Groove" Design Technology. Provides biting edges for excellent snow and ice traction without reducing tread element stiffness. Capitalizes on the higher traction characteristics of "snow on snow" versus "snow on rubber".

cooper-discovererMS_lg_super.jpg

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You should look at the HANKOOK iPike winter tires. Excellent in the snow and ice, wear very well and priced well. I run these on the stock wheels during winter and take them off in the spring for different wheels and tires. I live just south of Buffalo and near the lake and get a lot of snow and never have a problem with traction.

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should look at the HANKOOK iPike winter tires. Excellent in the snow and ice, wear very well and priced well. I run these on the stock wheels during winter and take them off in the spring for different wheels and tires. I live just south of Buffalo and near the lake and get a lot of snow and never have a problem with traction.

LOL. I grew up South of Buffalo near Lake Erie in Brant, but dated half of Hamburg and Orchard Park. I fondly remember the mega winters in the early '80s with nearly 10 feet of snow at the end of our driveway and 3-4 feet everywhere else.

I too plan to put these winter tires on the stock 20s and shop for fair weather tires and wheels in the Spring.

I have heard a few good things about the Hankook iPike tires but my Jetta came with Hankooks all-seasons and they are rather noisy. I cannot wait until they are worn out and I replace them.

Besides, I believe the Hankooks are made in China and the Cooper's are made in Ohio.

Do you ride dirt bikes too? I have a street titled '14 KTM 350 XCFW.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Matt, it's Kevin T, Todd's friend. I'm on a new 450 XC this year. Look for my white RAM with black SRT wheels and a large KTM 30 in the back glass if you go to the Palmyra race. Never missed a day of work during the November storm that dumped 7' of snow in our area. The Hankook iPike's were excellent. Your going to get some noise from a snow tire. But they are only on my truck for 3-4 months and don't make that much noise.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had iPikes on my Mazda 3. They were just meh, but again that's a car vs a truck.