Softopper install and review (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Every truck I have owned has had a soft tonneau cover. It is a necessity for me since I like to keep stuff in the bed out of the weather when traveling but still need to use my truck as a truck on a fairly regular basis. Unfortunately, trying to fit everything needed for a week long camping trip under the tonneau became more like a frustrating game of tetris. A fiberglass cap is out of the question since I cannot easily remove it by myself.

Several months ago I saw a truck in a parking lot that had one of these canvas camper shells and i had to find out more. Searching online I found that there were 2 companies making canvas camper shells: Softopper and Bestop. Both offerings look to be of similar quality and are about the same price. I decided on the Softopper because the sides are made solid canvas and all the panels could be folded up together. The Bestop cover required the sides and tailgate end to be stored separate from the folded up cover, based on the instruction on their website. Plus Softopper offered an optional protective case for the cover when it was collapsed.

I figured I would do a little write up incase there were others that may be interested.

Installation was a breeze needing just an impact driver (or socket) and a phillips driver bit.

Unpacking the cover
All frame components are aluminum and came individually wrapped. The instructions were easy to follow but really this kit could be put together without them. Everything was color coded and is designed to fit together with 'click lock' connections.
1_zps6b730d0f.jpg

With the components pre assembled installation consisted of clamping the rails to the truck bed and attaching the accordion frame to the rails.
2_zpsbcc9f35a.jpg

Then open the frame secure to the rails with the tether straps for stability. They hold the frame in place while you attach the canvas. Place the canvas on top of the frame and fold down all the panels. The front and back secure with velcro or snaps that you can screw into you bedliner. The sides attach with snaps on the rails.
3_zps6c385e25.jpg

The back panel has heavy-duty zippers that run vertical to attach to each side. The other corners lock together with prestiched velcro inserts. I was impressed with how well all the pieces fit together.
4_zpsca0a338b.jpg

They include a bottle of canvas seam sealer that you apply inside over all the stitching to waterproof the cover. This is a needed step once the canvas is installed and has a some time in the sun to settle into place. We had have had a ton of rain since installing the cover and it has stayed nice and dry in the bed, even when traveling at highway speeds.

****UPDATE**** The seam sealer they provided did not hold up too well. I resealed all the seams with brush-on boot silicone and has been water tight now for over 2 years.

My favorite feature is how compact the cover is when it is folded up. When wrapped in the optional cover it takes up almost no space and allows the entire bed to be used when needed.
5_zps155f0ad3.jpg

I have to say that so far I am a very satisfied customer. I am impressed with the overall quality of this cover. I ordered directly from Softopper. I selected standard shipping and had my cover in my house in 4 business days.

Hopefully this will help someone that, like me, needs a lightweight, removable bed cover that provides more covered space than a typical tonneau cover.

Greg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks guys!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I would love to get one if I could convince the lady to go camping!

LOL!! Well, we don't really go camping.... Our friends refer to our camper as a 'condo on wheels' :D

Last edited:

Haserot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Nice write up. I love that people are able to find a product that is just right for them. For me it was the BAK Roll-X. How long was installation and did you go it alone or have a helping hand?

Make sure you occasionally lube the zippers with some teflon or similar product. It's just a good practice that keeps them smooth and prevents that white corrosion garbage that eventually leads to you pulling on the zipper with a pair of pliers. :Frustrated:

Also, re-apply that seam sealer every season or so. That stuff will wear out over time.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks very practical. There are a few people up here in Los Alamos that run them.
It seems like it would get REALLY warm in there REALLY QUICK.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Nice write up. I love that people are able to find a product that is just right for them. For me it was the BAK Roll-X. How long was installation and did you go it alone or have a helping hand?

Make sure you occasionally lube the zippers with some teflon or similar product. It's just a good practice that keeps them smooth and prevents that white corrosion garbage that eventually leads to you pulling on the zipper with a pair of pliers. :Frustrated:

Also, re-apply that seam sealer every season or so. That stuff will wear out over time.

The BAK Roll-X is a nice unit. No doubt you are happy with it.

Installation was easy. Did it by myself in about 30 minutes. About 10 minutes to unbox and put the frame pieces together and about 20 more to fit it on the truck and align the canvas.

I was wondering what to use on the snaps and zippers... Thanks for the heads up on the Teflon.... I will get some online.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Looks very practical. There are a few people up here in Los Alamos that run them.
It seems like it would get REALLY warm in there REALLY QUICK.

It gets crazy hot in there, but not any worse then under a canvas tonneau cover.

luigi1285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
bringing this back. wanted to know how this thing is holding up now that you have had it a while? any input would be awesome. looking at one for the dogs for winter so they don't turn into ice cubes.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
bringing this back. wanted to know how this thing is holding up now that you have had it a while? any input would be awesome. looking at one for the dogs for winter so they don't turn into ice cubes.
It is holding up great. I've had it over a year now and the canvas still looks brand new.

One thing that I would recommend is skipping the seam sealer they provide and get some silicone waterproofing for boots. After about 3 months the seams started leaking a bit. I resealed all the seams and stitching with silicone boot sealer and haven't had a leak since. Also, I just ordered some replacement safety straps since the spring clips have started to rust. Other than that it is in perfect shape.

Last edited:

luigi1285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good stuff. How hard is it to fold and deploy in cold weather. How does it attach to the tail gate. I was gonna do a regular cap but I hate the look of them. And with this i can keep the dogs warm in the winter and can pop it off when not in use.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Folding it down is a breeze. Putting it up is not too bad in the cold but you really want to let it sit in the sun for a bit before trying to connect the snaps. The canvas really draws up in the cold.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I used the supplied stick on Velcro strips to attach to the tailgate. It works really good but when I replace it I will cut it into smaller pieces before sticking it on the plastic on top of the tailgate. You can see in the pic how it starts to bubble up when the plastic shrinks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415749553501.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415749553501.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 211
OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Uploading pic again

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415749815889.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415749815889.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 156

luigi1285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you for the tips. It hard to find any info on it. The only guys who seem to use it is the Tacoma guys. I think this is the route I'm gonna go. Can you drive the the sides rolled up ?