Static electricity/poor ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Has anyone else had a bad issue with static electricity? I have a 13 laramie longhorn and I ALWAYS have a **** ton of static when I get out of my truck. I have to carry dryer sheets to rub my shirts down to get rid of the cling.

Anyone run a better ground from the chassis to the body? Or from the seat to the body?

Anyone have information on the ground points in general?

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck shocks the **** out of me too lol. Especially now in the winter. I hit the seats with static guard every so often; other wise I use a keychain tool that's titanium to discharge the build up to the door before I touch the metal.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
"Anyone run a better ground from the chassis to the body? Or from the seat to the body?"

None of which would help. Static electricity is exactly that, static. It builds in places that don't conduct like the seat fabric and your clothes from friction, until the path to ground, you, allow it to ground.

You might try touching something that goes to chassis ground before getting out, (it used to be something as simple as the metal ignition key, now that doesn't work). If it's truly unbearable, put some seat covers on or wear different fabrics that don't allow a charge to build up.

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It blows my mind that the last 8 be vehicles I had never had this problem. Why on earth is the ram so bad?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Different seat fabric, or fabric fibers arranged in a different orientation? Newer chemical treatments to the newer interiors (dyes, stain resisters/flame retarders, etc.)? You upgraded your wardrobe? Driving position/seat style is different causing you to slide around on the seat a little more.

I think personally it's time to give up the polyester leisure suit. ;)

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nope had leather in all of my other vehicles and I'm still wearing the same jeans I wore 5 years ago...