Step bar squeaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ledawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I purchased a 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab. The truck had no step bars when I test drive the truck. No squeaks in truck at all. Move forward a few days, I buy the truck. I had them dealership install mopar step bars on the truck. Drove the truck home and started noticing several squeaks. I suspect the bars are the problem. I have noticed if it rains the trucks doesn't make a sound. So I believe the bars are the culprit. My question is has anyone else seen this? And how did you stop the squeaking. I read on here someone said they had the same issues. But now can't find it.

bpa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure the bolts for the bars are tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have the same problem and i guess i have the same step bars "Tubular Side Step"
The problem on those is the connection between the chassis frame and the L shaped bracket connecting to the tube.
They use some kind of a Dowel made of a softer alloy with a tread inside to fit the bolt.
You can wrench the bolt more tight and the squeal will stop but after some 100 miles on a bumpy road the damed thing become loose again and the squealing start again.
After 10 times crawling under the car and tighten the bolt i became tired of it and pulled them of the car. Problem solved ...
After i pulled the side steps i found this dowels deformed on the outside and it seems to me that tightening them just deform them more so that the bracket dont stay flush on the frame leading to even more squeal.
I have the dowels in my office so a i cant attach a picture now.
I see two DY solutions:
1° put a thick rubber patch between the frame and the bracket to avoid squealing
2° find better dowels who deform on the inside and not on the outside so that the bracket sit flush on the frame and can't vibrate leading to sqeualing
3° there is a slight possibility that the bolts become loose, so applying a drip of liquid tread locker may help, but i am convinced that this is not the problem.
Chris

OP
OP
L

Ledawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went out and snugged the bolts up. Took it for a short drive and they seemed to be quiet. My concern is the bolts dont seem to actually get tight. They just never seem to bottom out. The dealership put them on. It's still under warranty so they start that squeaking again I'll just take it back to them.