Stock Lug Nut Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
The 2 part numbers are same lugs...so good because I have the chrome clad wheels as well....but I think they are standard for all wheels in the year range because the also fit durangos and jeeps. :roflsquared:

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I received my Gorilla lugs yesterday and installed this afternoon... these lugs are really nice...solid...the way they should be! Upon changing 2 of mine got stuck in the socket... what garbage...it's like when you first discover the chrome clad wheels are plastic and fake. Who would of thought the lugs too...as they age you are prone to have more trouble with them. I am sooooo happy I found this thread and changed out with a high quality solid one piece lug before any trouble...I can't imagine torching them out like the the video the OP made. I even put a tiny bit of anti seize on a Qtip and worked around the threads of all the new lugs prior to installing. I now know I am good to go if I ever need to change the spare. I also hand torqued to 115ft lbs. I highly recommend everyone switch these out...best $50 insurance you can spend! Here is a pic of my 3 year old lugs...they are showing a little wear in the seam area.

Attachments

• IMG_4896.jpg
    IMG_4896.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4894.jpg
    IMG_4894.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4895.jpg
    IMG_4895.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I received my Gorilla lugs yesterday and installed this afternoon... these lugs are really nice...solid...the way they should be! Upon changing 2 of mine got stuck I the socket... what garbage...it's like if you when you first discover the chrome clad wheels are fake. Who would of thought...as they age you are prone to have more trouble with them. I am so happy I found this thread and changed out with a high quality solid one piece lug. I even put a tiny bit of anti seize on a Qtip and worked around the threads of all the. Ew lugs prior to installing. I now know I am good to go if I ever need to change the spare. I highly recommend everyone switch these out...best $50 insurance you can spend! Here is a pic of my 3 year old lugs...they are showing a little wear in the seam area.
Thanks for the update and pictures. The Gorillas are more high quality in person than they look in pictures. Definitely worth the $50+ for piece of mind.

I can't think of anything worse than having one of the stock lug nuts round off in the pouring rain on he side of the road with my family in the truck.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Did anyone find out if they have a black version? I guess I shouldn't be lazy and search myself.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Yes they had black ones on the eBay site, set of 20. There is a link to the chrome ones in this thread and then just scroll down the eBay seller has a lot of different ones.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I hope the guy who invented these capped lugnuts gets kicked in the balls by his mother. Same for the ****** from Ram who decided it would be a good idea to run these on a Ram.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope the guy who invented these capped lugnuts gets kicked in the balls by his mother. Same for the ****** from Ram who decided it would be a good idea to run these on a Ram.
" kicked in the balls by his mother "

That's funny right there now! I don't care who you are

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I like the gorilla lugs sooo much that my oem locks looked out of place....so I ordered a set of matching gorilla locks as well! These come with a socket key... not the cheap factory insert crap that came with truck. Now all will match!!! $27 on eBay

Part number: 96641DX

They also have in black as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4899.jpg
    IMG_4899.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I meant to say this way earlier in the thread, my factory locking lugs are pretty decent. They look to be all once piece as well.

However I like the idea of having Gorilla locks to match the other lugs!

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read this thread and got pretty concerned, like most others, that these factory lugs could become a nightmare some day. I have 4 of them that have only been removed once and looking these over, I have some thoughts:
i-gLjLx4G-L.jpg

The lug on the left already shows some stress from the regular socket I used to remove it. The regular socket does not slip all the way onto the nut. It only goes on about 3/4 of the way until it bottoms out. A deep socket goes all the way on. Also, the correct socket size is 22 MM. A 7/8 socket seems to fit but it is 22.23 MM, a little bigger than the 22 MM. That may not mean much as quality control on sockets is probably not that close. Unless perhaps sockets by Snap-On.

So, I think that if you use a quality deep 22 MM socket, and avoid using a rattle gun, the factory lugs will be fine for a long time. Break the lugs by hand with a big breaker bar, and set the rattle gun on a low torque to run the nuts on and off, but final torque them by hand.

Having just said all that, I just ordered a set of the Gorillas :)

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya, I don't have any complaints about the OEM lug nuts either but you do need to take care of them. I always use a deep 6 point impact socket (but NEVER with an impact wrench). I have been using 7/8" but will find a 22mm one. I am old school; I use a speed wrench (speed handle) to remove and install all my lug nuts; a long breaker bar to break the nut when removing them and a click torque wrench to set them. I always start threading the lug nut by hand to insure that the nut is threading correctly.

Using a speed wrench gives you the perfect feel if anything is amiss with the stud or nut threads.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I agree....proper technique is required when attending to them.... but they are still crap that was designed to shave weight and $$$. The gorilla lugs can be had for $50 for a set of 20. When you put them side by side you'll be happy you ordered! Also gorilla are 7/8 socket.:roflsquared:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you see what the guy went through to get them off?? lol.

If that happens to you guys, you will have wished you bought the Gorillas.

U understand the lugs are 2 pieces yes? Gorillas are one, no cap.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Read this thread and got pretty concerned, like most others, that these factory lugs could become a nightmare some day. I have 4 of them that have only been removed once and looking these over, I have some thoughts:
i-gLjLx4G-L.jpg

The lug on the left already shows some stress from the regular socket I used to remove it. The regular socket does not slip all the way onto the nut. It only goes on about 3/4 of the way until it bottoms out. A deep socket goes all the way on. Also, the correct socket size is 22 MM. A 7/8 socket seems to fit but it is 22.23 MM, a little bigger than the 22 MM. That may not mean much as quality control on sockets is probably not that close. Unless perhaps sockets by Snap-On.

So, I think that if you use a quality deep 22 MM socket, and avoid using a rattle gun, the factory lugs will be fine for a long time. Break the lugs by hand with a big breaker bar, and set the rattle gun on a low torque to run the nuts on and off, but final torque them by hand.

Having just said all that, I just ordered a set of the Gorillas :)
Well said Sir !

I love your signature, sounds like most of the Svc Mgr's @ dealerships I've been to

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Only thing I like about the factory ones is they resist rust pretty well.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Did you see what the guy went through to get them off?? lol.

If that happens to you guys, you will have wished you bought the Gorillas.

U understand the lugs are 2 pieces yes? Gorillas are one, no cap.

Yeah I never want to have to go through that....and I do believe it would happen to one out of the twenty at some point. Especially if you rotate your tires or have someone else perform this service which most do.