Suspension Creaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I would be afraid to just replace the ball joint. They already know for popping out with the bilstiens maxed. Can get mevotech upper control arms for about 40$ each. Got them on my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any retail stores stock them? Or should I order online? Where did you get yours?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
So... disconnected upper control arm and the squeaking is still there... either lower ball joint or something axle related? It seems like it's coming from behind that big rubber boot but can't be sure unless I remove... thoughts?

https://vimeo.com/200739305p

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was thinking ball joint but it could be the CV. Hopefully someone with knowledge on the subject will chime in.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I was thinking ball joint but it could be the CV. Hopefully someone with knowledge on the subject will chime in.
Once I connected the new control arms, the squeaking stopped. I thought I heard it once today driving around but might be mistaken. I'm thinking the new arms just alleviated some tension from whatever was creaking and now it's not anymore, but it still needs to be identified and fixed?

Silly me, I forgot to test the same movements on the passenger side to see if I could replicate the noise on the "not bad side". Not sure if it matters but the ball joint was CONSIDERABLY easy to remove on the noisy side and very difficult on the side that wasn't haven't issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Well sure enough... now it doesn't creak painfully loud for turning the steering wheel, but I stepped out and stepped on the step bar, and it creaked again. So rather than turning the wheel making it creak, now the suspension bouncing up and down makes it.

https://vimeo.com/200903480

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Thoughts on the remaining creaking?