Tail Gate Assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know this is the older thread, but it only shows fitments up to 2010, will this fit a 2017?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know this is the older thread, but it only shows fitments up to 2010, will this fit a 2017?

It does. I recently did my 2017 limited and my neighbors 2017 sport. The 2nd one installed faster after I figured out how the nut setting tool in the kit worked. 2011 and up could be different part number though.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It does. I recently did my 2017 limited and my neighbors 2017 sport. The 2nd one installed faster after I figured out how the nut setting tool in the kit worked. 2011 and up could be different part number though.

That was my question, if this part number would fit a 2017? That link only goes up to 2010. What part number do you have for the 2017 you installed on? Also could you expand on the nut setting issue you were talking about? Thank you for the help.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That was my question, if this part number would fit a 2017? That link only goes up to 2010. What part number do you have for the 2017 you installed on? Also could you expand on the nut setting issue you were talking about? Thank you for the help.

DZ43301 so yes the one on the link works. There's instructions on the nut setter in the enclosed directions. It's a tool that sets an anchor into the tailgate to thread the ball into. I hadn't used one before so I had to read the directions. Second truck had it installed in about 10 minutes, but I already had the tools out. Goes into an existing hole so there's no drilling in case that concerned you.

Last edited:

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
DZ43301 so yes the one on the link works. There's instructions on the nut setter in the enclosed directions. It's a tool that sets an anchor into the tailgate to thread the ball into. I hadn't used one before so I had to read the directions. Second truck had it installed in about 10 minutes, but I already had the tools out. Goes into an existing hole so there's no drilling in case that concerned you.

Thank you for the clarification. Very helpful

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just ordered one myself, $23 and change with free shipping. What a deal!

sportcoupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel Mojave Sand
Engine
The existing hole isn't round. The insert that comes with the assist is hard to install in a non-round hole and loosens up over time.

I got my assist second hand with no insert or stud. I choose to drill a new hole for my rivnut just below the existing oblong hole. Bought a stud at hardware store. Works great. This is on a 2017.

IMG_2416.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The existing hole isn't round. The insert that comes with the assist is hard to install in a non-round hole and loosens up over time.

I got my assist second hand with no insert or stud. I choose to drill a new hole for my rivnut just below the existing oblong hole. Bought a stud at hardware store. Works great. This is on a 2017.

View attachment 116732
I wonder as long as you keep the setting tool if you can tighten it up if it gets loose.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

View attachment 116732

What size stud did you buy and what size of drillbit? I just ordered this from Amazon, I may just do what you did to avoid future problems.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What size stud did you buy and what size of drillbit? I just ordered this from Amazon, I may just do what you did to avoid future problems.

I would just install the one that comes with it and go the other way if it's a problem in the future. Doesn't seem like it's a really common problem. The directions on tightening the anchor are pretty specific. It may be because not tightening enough or overtightening can cause problems.

sportcoupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel Mojave Sand
Engine

You need a 10mm ball stud with threads of your rivnut. I used 5/16-18.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10MM-Ball-...ash=item1a3998d68b:g:hI4AAOSw~l1Z6jAv&vxp=mtr

The assist doesn't come with a ribbed rivnut, it comes with a jacknut. Mine didn't have a jacknut so hardware store trip was required.

For my 5/16-18 rivnut I used a 0.530" drill bit. You should use the drill size for the type rivnut you use.

http://www.rivetnuts.com/

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Installed mine today and it was a piece of cake, took all of 15 minutes. Works well and no more slamming tailgate.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys must noy have real winters where you live.. I agree that its one of THE best mods, especially for the money. HOWEVER, it definitely slows down quite a bit in our WI winters. It can be a little annoying when your in a hurry. Still a fantastic mod besides the month of near/sub zero temps.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just installed mine last night, and the temperature was below freezing(~15F) it definitely opens slow.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You guys must noy have real winters where you live.. I agree that its one of THE best mods, especially for the money. HOWEVER, it definitely slows down quite a bit in our WI winters. It can be a little annoying when your in a hurry. Still a fantastic mod besides the month of near/sub zero temps.
sounds like I may have to pop mine off when it gets too cold. Easy enough

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
sounds like I may have to pop mine off when it gets too cold. Easy enough

Unless there’s a chance of damaging the assist mechanism I will not remove mine. It might be slow, we are talking a difference of one or two seconds from normal operation..... hopefully I won’t be pressed for one or two seconds.