Tailgate assist, if you use 2, your tailgate will come out! help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hey guys..... of course I didn't follow the directions, I put 2 of those bad ass tailgate assists on my truck as it goes down so nice and slow now and pops up just when you barely push on it. One by itself just groaned and made noise--- my goodness this is getting ****** isn't it! Ok, back to the topic... how do I stop it (the tailgate) from popping out going up and down hahaha

thank you! :roflsquared:

and don't say just use one at a time- it's two at a time for me! oh sheesh already! maybe a wire tie?

Last edited:

demort71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tailgate assists? Wow am I ever behind the times! It's been awhile since I scoped out a new Ram. The last new Ram that I bought was a red '05 QC SLT that I traded in 2010 on a Charger R/T. After selling my Citroen Yella 71 Challenger R/T sunroof car a couple of weeks ago, I soon stumbled on my next yellow Mopar. I bought a 2004 Rumble Bee last week. I also own a 78 Lil Red Express that I am restoring. The Bee is going to look so cool towing the Lil Red to regional shows. This is my first post on the Ram forum. My trucks of course don't have a tailgate assist, but it sounds like a good option to have! LOL

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
hey guys..... of course I didn't follow the directions, I put 2 of those bad ass tailgate assists on my truck as it goes down so nice and slow now and pops up just when you barely push on it. One by itself just groaned and made noise--- my goodness this is getting ****** isn't it! Ok, back to the topic... how do I stop it from popping out going up and down hahahah- the tailgate that is!

thank you! :roflsquared:

and don't say just use one at a time- it's two at a time for me! oh sheesh already! maybe a wire tie?

Are they pressure adjustable? If so then lower the pressure on the right side where it pops out, maybe, idk.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's the Deezee brand, they are not adjustable. They are made for a single install. For 2, you have to figure out how to make the removal hinge "non-removable".

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Correct Old Fart- non adjustable, Deezee brand, how do i make the tailgate non-removable, that is the question.

Glad you joined us Demort!

Stimpy saves the day! well done sir... I was thinking of a hose clamp myself, but there i go being ghetto again. Thank you very much, this has to be the fastest DIY problem solved ever!

Hi, Syk- good to see you again. These are just tiny little shocks... but with enough pressure to suspend the gate at that sweet spot long enough for it to want to pop out when going down. Normally you pass that spot in the blink of a second without the assist. I would suggest anyone who like the idea, get them, its so nice to not have your tailgate slam open when your hands are full. and then you don't have the full weight lifting it. Now check this out... am i getting too crazy with this monster? would you put this in? i know it's old school, wonder why it didn't catch on?

Droptail videos in action (droptail.com)

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
Probably a graduate of Jerry Rigg University

2013 Ram
4.7L v8
K&N filter
Flowmaster 40
IG- the_sneauxman

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
It tells you in the instructions drivers side only. No need for two, mine is smooth as can be and work flawlessly. I use my tail gate few times a Day also. Take the passenger side one off!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Correct Old Fart- non adjustable, Deezee brand, how do i make the tailgate non-removable, that is the question.

Glad you joined us Demort!

Stimpy saves the day! well done sir... I was thinking of a hose clamp myself, but there i go being ghetto again. Thank you very much, this has to be the fastest DIY problem solved ever!

Hi, Syk- good to see you again. These are just tiny little shocks... but with enough pressure to suspend the gate at that sweet spot long enough for it to want to pop out when going down. Normally you pass that spot in the blink of a second without the assist. I would suggest anyone who like the idea, get them, its so nice to not have your tailgate slam open when your hands are full. and then you don't have the full weight lifting it. Now check this out... am i getting too crazy with this monster? would you put this in? i know it's old school, wonder why it didn't catch on?

Droptail videos in action (droptail.com)

That's a little too lazy even for me,lol

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My tailgate has just one on the driver side and it’s been great. Not sure why you need two ? And I’m really confused as to how it wouldn’t work though. Don’t both sides have the same holes ? Remove cable. Install top part. Put that nut thing in the hole and do the Allen key thingy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My tailgate has just one on the driver side and it’s been great. Not sure why you need two ? And I’m really confused as to how it wouldn’t work though. Don’t both sides have the same holes ? Remove cable. Install top part. Put that nut thing in the hole and do the Allen key thingy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't work because the passenger side pivot hinge is the one with the cutout in it that you use to to remove the tailgate. The shock pushes the tailgate out of the socket every time you raise/lower it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am guessing that is why it says to install1 on the driver's side.

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Hose clamp over the cut-out might be a simple fix?

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
would the hose clamp be too wide to fit in the space by the hinge? its been a while since i have looked at the hinges on my tailgate.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OMG people- this isn't a question as to do you like or even need 1 or 2. and if you read, its already done- i have 2, and i have that tailgate lock from Amazon - paid 21.00. that is the total solution. I said in the first post, i put 2 on, so why anyone is talking about why it would not work, really?

the single shock makes too much noise when lowering and it will fail faster than using 2 shocks as the gate is heavy. You can put 2 on just fine, the holes are there. I got my answer, you guys are great! I didn't mean this to turn into a whole thing about why or who or whatever- sheesh you guys!

a hose clamp works as well, that was my ghetto suggestion- but it looks crappy. You can use a wire tie as well, but also looks crappy.

I just wanted a fix to a DIY and we got an excellent solution. Its as close to automatic as you can get, and i also posted a link to the drop gate people who make an automatic solution if anyone is interested.