Tailgate Emblems Oozing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried searching but found nothing related to my issue. The emblems on my tailgate are oozing and it wont come off. i washed and waxed them, but it remains. i am headed to dealer to see if it will be covered. the truck has 27k on it and this is one of many small issues that has popped up. i know some remove the badges and i will probably so that after i talk to the dealer. this shouldn't be happening. i will update later today. not sure if any one else has seen this before. i'm not sure dealer will cover it, i will PM Ram Cares and see what they say.

Luke

Attachments

• IMG_5920.JPG
    IMG_5920.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5918.JPG
    IMG_5918.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
any pics?...I'm curious.

edit: Ahhh, now I see the pics.

Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried searching but found nothing related to my issue. The emblems on my tailgate are oozing and it wont come off. i washed and waxed them, but it remains. i am headed to dealer to see if it will be covered. the truck has 27k on it and this is one of many small issues that has popped up. i know some remove the badges and i will probably so that after i talk to the dealer. this shouldn't be happening. i will update later today. not sure if any one else has seen this before. i'm not sure dealer will cover it, i will PM Ram Cares and see what they say.

Luke

I must say, that is really weird. I've never seen or heard of that happening before.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I would see if the dealer has anything ?

looks like they got a bad batch of 3M ?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
weird... seems like a LOT of ooze for a few pieces of double-sided tape as well. It'll be interesting to see what this turns out to be.

SuthrnRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That is odd, almost like the dealer had used a certain cleaner or wax and maybe it settled on the emblems, then when it rained or you cleaned it the substance would run down the truck.

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of blank stares from the service guy. To me it appears my clear coat has come off. My dad also agrees. The service guy took pics and he's suppose to let me know what they say today. No one else I know with a ram has this issue. We will see. I will be removing them after this gets sorted out. I'll reply back with the outcome. Really not sure what they can do. If it's clear coat that's missing, my thoughts are that it's the adhesive that caused it and it should be covered.

Luke

Smashius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you tried an adhesive remover (goof off, etc..) on it?

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried an adhesive remover (goof off, etc..) on it?

I was gonna try that after I hear from dealer. But.....
Good note, the detail guy can get it off. I stopped by and he brought out some compound or something and tried it out. It works. He recommends removing badges, and I will. He doubts dealer would cover it. Unless they just cover his bill. But great it's not clear coat. He still thinks it's the badges and the adhesive. He also said he has never seen that. And he does a lot of the dealer stuff. But get this, it's coming out of the ram head logo and the tailgate handle.
But jet on the tailgate. Not the doors.

Luke

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Def a new one to me!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird... But my guess is and this is only a guess that the dealer or a place you had it washed uses muriatic acid to either clean the whole truck or emblems and it got into the back and double sided tape, they wiped it and waked away where the residual behind ran down the paint and etching the clear coat...

If nothing like that then I have no clue.... there has to be something in the double sided tape that is reacting with a cleaning agent and either depositing glue or etching the clear coat

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird... But my guess is and this is only a guess that the dealer or a place you had it washed uses muriatic acid to either clean the whole truck or emblems and it got into the back and double sided tape, they wiped it and waked away where the residual behind ran down the paint and etching the clear coat...

If nothing like that then I have no clue.... there has to be something in the double sided tape that is reacting with a cleaning agent and either depositing glue or etching the clear coat

This is my guess to. Therefore I doubt the dealer will cover it. They will blame the chemical reaction. I have used drive through car washes and so have others, and theirs have not reacted to it like mine. So I will be patient and see what the dealer says. I have yet to get a call, even though I was told I would. I will. E calling tomorrow. I'll update.

Luke

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, I did PM ram cares. She's taking a backseat on this for now to see what the dealer says. I would think she could just tell me weather or not it's covered. But again, I will see what they say.

Luke

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:

Dealer will not cover the emblems ooze. They had someone come look at it (the same detail guy i visited) and they determined that something indeed has reacted to or had soaked into the 3M tape and caused this to happen. But it is not the tape degrading, it still has a "good grip on the body panel". The consensus is that when i went into a drive though car wash, the soap (with acid or something) didn't get washed off my tailgate all the way. This caused it to sit on top of the emblems or soak the 3M tape. Then when the next rain came it created this problem i have now. this is also why it is coming out of the tailgate handle. the handle doesn't have 3M tape, therefore it has to be the substance from the car wash or acid rain.
Overall, i am fine with this outcome. the service guy i worked with was great. he did all he could. i understand why it isn't covered. It really isn't a big deal. i had planed on taking the emblems off and having the truck professionally detailed.

But now i am waiting for the other reason i took it into the dealer. my windshield cowl pieces are coming apart. you can rub your finger on them and the rubber comes off and it degrading. i think these should be covered for sure. the pics are below.

Luke

Attachments

• IMG_5923.JPG
    IMG_5923.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5924.JPG
    IMG_5924.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 64