Tailgate falls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
My tailgate comes undone and lowers itself while driving sometimes. Anyone else have this problem? If I take into a dealership I hope it could be fixed under warranty, anyone know?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since you have a 2016, it should be under warranty. Unless, you have reached your mileage limit. There's been a couple of cases of this happening. There are some threads on here with the same issues. Try doing a search, if you haven't already, and see what comes up.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My tailgate comes undone and lowers itself while driving sometimes. Anyone else have this problem? If I take into a dealership I hope it could be fixed under warranty, anyone know?

I have a 2017, does the same thing. First time I assumed I didn't shut it tight. Now I know that's not the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yup, there are threads on this. There should be a TSB on this.

Mine falls every now and then. and once the dealer fixes some other stuff under warranty they are changing out the tailgate latch mechanism.

If you just got a spray in bed liner check the latch mechanisms. Line-X did not tape mine off and got Line-X overspray in the mechanisms. It should come out easy with a toothpick and cotton swabs if the latch is oiled.

Polarisman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 later ecodiesel
It is the electronic keyless lock actuator .
There is a little metal tab on it that stops the lock from going to far and after a few hundred times of locking the metal tab breaks off and the lock goes to far and moves the latches just enough that the tailgate comes open

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Here's a great video by Motor City Mechanic...

M² Mods.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wtf!!! Now I have to worry about my quad falling out of my bed while im driving!!! If i unplug the stupid key fob actuator will that keep it from opening? This shoukd be s mandatory recall!!!
Does my 2010 ram slt have this fancy key fob actuator? If my quad falls out i'll snap!

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the part they replace it with better or will it too fail after awhile?