Taller but not wider tires for 1500 SLT? Whats my best bet on size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taymag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
slt
I do a lot of highway driving so I don't want to effect my mpg or ride and was wondering if I could just go with some taller tires and keeping them 265 if that's possible and if there's a downside to that since I never really see it

I have a leveling kit that gave an an extra 3" in the front and 1" in the back (I think) and need a little more clearance for some offroading...

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
I do a lot of highway driving so I don't want to effect my mpg or ride and was wondering if I could just go with some taller tires and keeping them 265 if that's possible and if there's a downside to that since I never really see it

I have a leveling kit that gave an an extra 3" in the front and 1" in the back (I think) and need a little more clearance for some offroading...

Not really much I can tell you for bigger than 265s unless you want to do all terrains. Downside is taller tires the more rolling resistance you have so it can effect mpg in the long run as well as speed. The lift kit effects mpg too since air gets under the truck and produces more drag.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Is your truck on 17s, or 20s?

I wanted something similar, and just ordered up some 255/80/17s which are slightly taller (~33") than my OEM 275/70/17 (~32"), but narrower, and also E instead of C. I was hoping to eliminate some sidewall flex while loaded/trailering, get a decently aggressive tread, maintain (ish) mpg, and not lose too much torque on tire weight/diameter.

They arrive tomorrow, and hopefully they will work well. The only other size I was considering was 285/75/17 (~34"), but those are heavy, etc. and would impact all the categories I really care about.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
As previously stated what size wheel are you running. And no matter what a bigger tire is going to lower your mpg. More rubber = more weight and it's going to take more to get that taller tire to make a full rotation. With that being said a lot of the 20in wheel guys are running 275 65/20 it's a 34 in tire vs the factory 33in but same width.