TCY Projector Headlight stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
-I replaced my stock quad headlights to some tcy projectors. I used the resistors from the retro shop to make them work.
-They have been running fine for about a year. Today the passenger headlight slowly flickered then stopped working. Both low beam and high beam do not work. The led amber still works. Any idea what it could be?

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The resistors on the adapter harness are just for lamp out error and hyperflash of the led's, id say connection issue

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The resistors on the adapter harness are just for lamp out error and hyperflash of the led's, id say connection issue

So you say get under there and make sure everything is hooked up. The amber led strip is still working

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bulb? Sorry if that seems like the obvious answer. But low and hi are the same bulb in the projectors. Gonna need to do some sleuthing. Check conections, and bulb would be my recommendation. Also, multi meters are a great tool to know how to use! Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bulb? Sorry if that seems like the obvious answer. But low and hi are the same bulb in the projectors. Gonna need to do some sleuthing. Check conections, and bulb would be my recommendation. Also, multi meters are a great tool to know how to use! Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Ok thanks for the response. Didn't know they were the same bulb. Seems early for a bulb burn out, although. I hope that is the issue. Any recommendations on a better replacement bulb?

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations on bulbs. Still running quads on my 2011. Hope to upgrade soon. Don't know what your budget is, but a lot of guys are dropping in the HID kit from retroshop, and are very happy with increased output. I'd figure out what your current issue is first. If its just a loose connection, that's a simple cost free repair. I'm sure somebody will chime in on bulbs.

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations on bulbs. Still running quads on my 2011. Hope to upgrade soon. Don't know what your budget is, but a lot of guys are dropping in the HID kit from retroshop, and are very happy with increased output. I'd figure out what your current issue is first. If its just a loose connection, that's a simple cost free repair. I'm sure somebody will chime in on bulbs.

10-4 thanks for the response

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Im pretty sure, actually im positive the tyc projectors have the 9012 low beam and 9005 high beam. 2 bulbs. Low beam is the projector and the high beam is the 9005 bulb, which is a regular reflective lense. The low beam/projector is on the outer most part of the housing and the high beam is at the inner most part of the housing. The high beam bulb is located where the small C bar looking thing is that comes off the projector.

8b9fd97fc18699dce1781d26ae755ee1.jpg

If you look at the top left of the opening you will see the 9005 halogen bulb for the high beam.

If your headlights are oem mopar and are 2016+ then you will have a 9005 low and 9005 high. The 2013-2015 oem mopar projectors and all tyc projectors are 9012 low/9005 high.

http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/ram bulb guide

Hope this helps.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update-

I think I found the issue. There is some corrosion on one of my plugs.. any tips on this??

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good contact cleaner, maybe a brush, once cleaned use some dielectric grease

10-4
I soaked it in some white vinigar, and then did everything you said.
I also found one of the wiring harnesses was loose. So I taped it tightly with some electrical tape and whalaa!! Lights are working!!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
10-4

I soaked it in some white vinigar, and then did everything you said.

I also found one of the wiring harnesses was loose. So I taped it tightly with some electrical tape and whalaa!! Lights are working!!

Hmmm. Electrical tape and corrosion. Who woulda thought!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk