Third brake light leak fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So we've not had much rain since I put in my LED third brake light until today and it is leaking pretty bad back there. What's the fix for this? Clear silicone or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamThunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So we've not had much rain since I put in my LED third brake light until today and it is leaking pretty bad back there. What's the fix for this? Clear silicone or what?

Mine had the same problem, we sealed it with silicone

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good info, thanks fellas! Just ordered me some.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sticky?

Shibby damn smart, and thanks for making it a video, every Ram owner should do these now, before the mold smell comes. I ruined many things in my truck and had to live with the musty smell for a good while until I fixed it. I had a roll of paper towels that were spotted greenish black from the moisture, and it spread. Such an easy fix, such a downside when you don't upgrade it. I will say, once you cut the water source and go through a summer, the musty smell is gone for good.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did this 3 weeks ago on my 1500, the gasket is thick so the light stands off the body just a hair. You have to look for it to see it, but my truck is dry now so it works. Weve had plenty of rain to test it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I had done mine before the rainiest year this state has ever had on record. have had zero issues. I can't imagine what it would have been if I didn't have it fixed for this year in CA. I feel so stupid for putting it off, the year prior I was using tarps when I wasn't driving to keep water out. So lazy for no reason because it is such an easy fix.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This thread has some excellent information in it. Thanks guys for all the information. I bet it will help lots of people.
Jay

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I used to silicon and it's been for almost 4 years.
I just had a bunch of silicon from sealing the aftermarket lights.

If I ever change the light, I will use the rubber gasket.

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the new gasket put in today and went to the car wash. Dry as a bone, so far so good. Real test will be next decent rain but I feel pretty confident in it.

raj005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
2017 third brake light

Hey guys, I just got a 2017 Big Horn and was planning to change out the lights in the third brake light to LEDs. Should I go ahead and plan on using the suggested M-D Weatherstrip when I replace the cover or did Ram fix the problem and I can use the existing gasket? I've heard mixed things so far.

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally didn't notice any leaking on my 2017 Express until I switched over to the LED third brake light. However, for the price I figure it's cheap insurance either way.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Hey guys, I just got a 2017 Big Horn and was planning to change out the lights in the third brake light to LEDs. Should I go ahead and plan on using the suggested M-D Weatherstrip when I replace the cover or did Ram fix the problem and I can use the existing gasket? I've heard mixed things so far.

I would. It's cheap insurance.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had silicon and it worked good for a while, then the leaks came. Leaks, I hate leaks. They make me crazy. Then I found the thread about the rubber and now, no more leaks! No more stained headliner! All dry and all clean now.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've only had one leak issue over the summer. Water came shooting out the plastic screw covers on the driver side pillar handle. Dealer knew about this issue and replaced the third brake light.