To those who have used VHT Nite Shades, PLEASE HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yo Nadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Got busy and tinted my tails today. One problem, they're not shiny!!! =)

Process
-Removed lights
-Wetsanded with a dot of dish soap and 2000 grit
-Cleaned with alcohol and let air dry
-2 coats of VHT, 5 mins between each coat
-45 mins dry time
-Wetsanded with dot of dish soap and 2000 grit
-Cleaned with alcohol and let air dry
-4 coats of clear, 5 mins between each coat
-1 hour dry time

Lights looked perfect at this point, but hand some orange peel. After the hour dry time I wet sanded them again, then used Mequires Ultimate Compound, and hand buffed.

They looked like crap after that. Still all foggy and full looking, so I sanded a little more and re-cleared them. They are drying now.

What did I do wrong?? Why didn't they buff out shiney??

Did I wet sand the clear too soon maybe? Any help is appreciated!!!

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Ive yet to use VHT on my Rams, but I did use it on my old Honda. Im going to go with Laminex tint films on my truck. Any who, when I used VHT on my Honda I used about 4 coats. I cleaned/prepped before, 20 mins between coats, 1 hour after last coat I waxed the crap out of it,lol, doing that step twice! I thought it turned out pretty good. I never sanded between coats, so maybe thats the problem..im not sure.

7_zpsf3c1cafc.jpg

OP
OP
Y

Yo Nadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Don't do laminx!! I just gave up on my left side the other day. That **** SUCKS. I have the right side you can have before you waste your money on a full set. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to play nice. Fit and looked like **** so I took it off.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Oh really?? Damn that sucks, the video seemed so easy lol. I just didnt want to have to use VHT again as its permanent..where as as film I can remove if needed!

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Yeah exactly my point lol...Id be afraid to use gas on such a new vehicle to remove anything lol

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
you aren't getting enough "oomph" on your buffing.

oh.....also..........I wouldn't wax them for at least 2-3 months. Gotta let 'em breathe!

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What JJ said. I had read in one of his previous posts they need like 60 days to fully cure before you should hit them with buffing.

I had a nightmare using the rustoleum tint spray and just end up with gts covers that I ended up really liking the look of. The 3rd brake light ended up good though so it'll get buffed i a few weeks.

Tried the tinted vinyl and was another waste of money. lol

Acetone takes it off really well too if you don't wanna use gas.

Last edited:

jake09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be that ****** clear you may be using..vht doesn't even need clear coat really..i cleared mine and wetsanded and were pretty glossy but they looked even better without the clear

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you forgot clear coat mate.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could have a plethora of issues.

People love to go mixing products VHT and DupliColor for example.
If you are going to mix products, you have to let the first product fully cure and outgas before coating over it, AKA THIS WILL TAKE FOREVER!

Coat as many coats of Nightshades as you want, following the flashing of your last coat, use some VHT clear, put on 3-4 coats. Allow this to dry / cure for a couple of days before you even think of sanding / buffing it.
I personally hit clear coat with 2500 grit and every so slightly soapy water. Once you have a smooth but dull finish, bust out the polishing compound.
It shouldn't take much to bring out the clear. After polishing admire it, bolt it on.
Give it a month or so before you wax em (as mentioned above).

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Definitly get a good clear, I didnt the first go round and it faded within a year
I'd gve to think it will without clear too
Look at the suggested times on whatever clear your using
The 2k clear I used recomended 24hrs I think and within 7 days
I waited to long on one set and had to knock it down with 1500 and finished with 2000 and 2500

Just keep buffing!

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
2k gets SOLID pretty quick :D