Tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
I have 285/70/17 tires. What's the recommended pressure to run them at? Anyone who has this size tire, what do you run at?

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
should be wrote on the tire and also the recommended tire pressure should be written on the inside of your door on your truck.

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Side of tire says 40 psi max. Just thinking there are only certain reasons you'd run I that high. As far as the door panel pressure, mine came with the 20" wheels. I have 17" now and figure the pressure will be different with taller sidewalls.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
40 psi max? what tire are you running?my nitto trail grapplers(same size as yours) are run at 45/50 min.and 55/60 min. on heavy load setting and max out at 80.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may have passenger tires, not light truck tires. Passenger tires run at lower pressure but won't handle heavy loads, although there are some XL rated passenger tires. The tire pressure on the door is for the rated truck capacity.

I would look at the tire manufactures site, they should have spec sheets, and look up what the max tire load is at its max load rating, and start there.

Otherwise, if you don't haul much, used the so called chalk test to determine the best pressure for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
They're Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. It is actually 44 PSI max, not 40 but still low compared to others. I did look at their site. Doesn't say recommended pressure, just the max under load. I don't pull anything and I have yet to haul anything heavy in it and probably won't so weight really isn't a concern. I'm mainly thinking of wear, ride and fuel mileage.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
America's Tire/Discount Tire has a computer program that will give you pressure recommendations specific to your tire and vehicle. They also do free pressure checks so just swing by. America's Tire just gave me my specific recommendation for my new LT tires. Great service there!

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They're Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. It is actually 44 PSI max, not 40 but still low compared to others. I did look at their site. Doesn't say recommended pressure, just the max under load. I don't pull anything and I have yet to haul anything heavy in it and probably won't so weight really isn't a concern. I'm mainly thinking of wear, ride and fuel mileage.

First problem is wear, ride and fuel mileage are all enemies when it comes to air pressure. Looking at the Nitto website that load is referring to the weight of your vehicle. At least that's what it seems to be to me. Nothing to do with what you're hauling.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I go by what gives the most even contact patch....i.e. The chalk test

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
once you switch from factory ties what ever info they provide is useless go the the tire manufacturers web site they usually buried somewhere on the site have recommendations