Tire pressure question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman 2500
Engine
Fellas,

I have an '11 outdoorsman with the Rugged Trail TA tires. Max cold PSI on the tires says 80PSI. On the door sticker it tells me to run the fronts at 60 and the rear at 70PSI. I am not sure why I would run the tires different and why I would run the front so low. Do you run your tires at the recommended 60 front and 70 rear?

The truck is used for long drives while camping but only pulling a pop up, so def not a heavy hauler.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The difference in PSI front to rear has to do with payload capacity and the stock tire ratings that the truck came equipped with. Apparently they assume you are going to be running loaded most of the time, which in my case, just doesn't happen.

With the Rugged Trail TA tires you'll want to run them at the pressures that 1) gives the best ride, and, 2) gives the best wear. 60/70 on those tires would probably be slightly over inflated for normal driving and the tires will see more wear in the middle than even wear across the tread face.

You would want to air up the rears a bit if you put a heavy load in the bed to reduce heat and avoid a tire failure.

I run BFG KO2's (35x12.50x18) and I have them at 55PSI cold. During highway driving they "grow" about 4 - 5 PSI at freeway speeds. If I am going to put a heavy load in the bed I air up the rears to 65PSI cold, then air them back down when done hauling. I leave the fronts alone.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^what he said
If you run your tire at the max fill pressure without being heavily loaded, your kidneys might not like you too much.
You want to run just enough pressure that your tires wear evenly for the given load. I have never ran the suggested tire fill pressure in any of my heavy work vehicles.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chalk your tires to find the best pressure for your setup.

Rub chalk on the treads, drive a little bit, then check the chalk.
If the chalk wears off in the middle first, lower your pressure. If the chalk wears off on the edges first, increase your pressure.
Continue to check and adjust until the chalk wears evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run 39 all the way around my KO2 are just a little larger than the stocks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk