Tire wear problem??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bighorn24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2011 ram 1500 bighorn, with the 20x9 rims. It was a dealer demo with 11000 miles on it. I just noticed today, only have had it two days, that the driverside front tire is cupped just a lil and seems to be wearing the outside shoulder of the tire significantly more than he passenger side front. I was told by the dealer that it is possible that since there are 11000 miles on truck that the suspension could have settled n broke in a little bit and an alignment is needed probably. My question is, has anyone ever heard of suspension settling and wearing in after 10000 or so miles, and has anyone else experienced this kind of tire wear on a practicaly new ram 1500?? Thanks

gopackgo69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi ****
I have noticed on these trucks that they wear alot on the outside from taking corners to fast.

guilty

unclemark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi, 4.7
Im no pro but ive never really heard of suspensions settling even tow rigs ive had and friends have that hauled backhoes and fifth wheels never settled.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Im no pro but ive never really heard of suspensions settling even tow rigs ive had and friends have that hauled backhoes and fifth wheels never settled.

^^True, but one of the major differences here is that you have FIS in the front so as your suspension "settles" or you put more weight on your truck (bumpers, winches, etc) the camber, and toe changes. The wear you see on the outside of the tires is primarily due to camber change, but some extra resistance and therefore extra wear would be due to the toe (although toe is never perfectly neutral). On a real truck you have solid axles in the front and rear so even if your springs settle some, the geometry between your tire, and the ground will not change.

I would think though that the settling would result in wear on the inside, not the outside. It is quite possible that the camber gain on these trucks is not significant enough considerign the large mass being thrown around when cornering though, and as a result the outside of the tire wears a lot in cornering since it inevitably supports most of the normal and shear loading.

Last edited:

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No issue on mine. Mine was a dealer demo for 5,000 miles and has almost 16,000 now plus I have a heavy duty front bumper replacement

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Like I said, the extra loading would result in the wear getting better, not worse, assuming it is a camber rate problem.