Tire Wear Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I couldn't find something that's seemed appropriate and considering the question is because I have a lift.. I figured why not.

If a tire wears unevenly on the inside due to bad suspension components, once those suspension components are replaced and the vehicle is aligned.. Will the tires then "even out" the wear or will the inside always wear out faster now due to the shape of the tire?

I ask because I'm putting new tires on and the inside of one side is pretty badly worn, almost smooth while the outside isn't. Wondering if this means I have a current issue or I had one at one point(which I did but fixed).

Pic attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170701_135050.jpg
    20170701_135050.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 46

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's possible for them to "even" the wear out.

I wouldn't expect it to make the wear perfect/matching by any means.

Also depends on how good of an allignment job the shop does.

It's not perfect but you can do the chalk test periodically to see if the wear is evening out or not. Messing with the tire pressures will have some effect on them evening out too.

Last edited:

Jayc057

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it might start wearing less on the inside but not much. from my experience with tires (mostly lowered cars) once the tire wears I'm the inside it will always wear on that side more even after going from super low to stock height. Once a tire is worn like that it will always wear funny. If you are worried about your new tires wearing the same way I'd keep an eye on it and make sure the shop has your alignment dialed in not just the camber but caster and toe as well. Some of these shops only get you dialed into the bare minimum for your stock set up not your after market suspension.