Tires NOT to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My truck came with Falken Wildpeak H/T and I have to say they are absolutely horrendous tires for any inclimate road conditions.

I figured going from an awd Acura to a big heavy 4x4 truck with all seasons that it would get great traction and boy was I wrong.

Mind you when I purchased my truck these tires were brand new and they still have plenty of tread on them as they are a year old now. In the snow my truck could not back out of my driveway I even got the truck stuck in my yard one time after snow blowing. It does not stop well in the snow and it feels like it's on skis when Im driving in the snow.

In the rain I am constantly hydroplaning and slipping and sliding. Just last week while going up a curved on ramp driving below the posted speed limit in 4x4 mode and I was hydroplaning and had no traction and it was very scary. I have to put the truck in 4x4 every time it rains or the back tires will spin on any grade besides perfectly flat. I've had FWD cars with all season tires that far outperformed my truck in relation to traction in rain and snow. I am just perplexed at how they are this awful.

I've had a lot of cars and a lot of tires and the only comparison I could make is when I had my Audi S4 with the factory upgraded 19" wheels which came with summer tires and the first time it snowed, just a dusting, the car couldn't stop or steer without sliding. But that was expected considering the tires were dedicated summers. These tires on my truck are all seasons and they are just so ridiculously bad I am warning people who live in the northeast, like me, or anywhere else that gets bad weather to steer clear of these because they are downright dangerous.

I'm going to be upgrading to 35" tires in the very near future and have done a lot of research on tires and the common denominator is you get what you pay for. Any recommendations on good all terrains with exceptional tread life and good traction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh wow. Thanks for your feedback on the Falken Wildpeak H/T. I will be sure to steer clear of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
I have had them on my last two trucks and never had an issue with them and have driven them in pouring rain 70 mph and they did great so i am not sure why you have had such bad luck with them.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
When it comes to tires i just go to amazon and other websites and read reviews. But in the end what someone likes may not be what another likes. Everyone's driving style is different and everyone expects different things from them

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have had them on my last two trucks and never had an issue with them and have driven them in pouring rain 70 mph and they did great so i am not sure why you have had such bad luck with them.

They are so bad in the rain and snow I had to double check to make sure they were all season tires. Maybe I got a bad batch? I don't know, but on my truck they are bad.

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Here's a review on consumer reports of these tires... He explains to a tee EXACTLY my experience with them.

542b19c7faeee724b550abb6651b3990.jpg9f4213ac01a4690b2428dde6b9ccc0d4.jpg

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Cheap tires are something I just don't buy into. Hopefully you get something good don't wait until it is too late.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
tire reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.unless they are reviewed by a person with your exact truck the review ain't worth ****.jeep guys love duratracs,but on an hd truck they ******* suck the big one. worst tire ever.who can trust a reviewer that never tows,carries a load,or goes off road more than the one time so they could write the review? go to the tire website and look at the tread,check the sipes,the width of the tread blocks,the shoulder lugs.

Last edited:

muscleram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like you r in the same boat as me.
You've had nice import cars with great tires and now you have a domestic ram. Let's face it. We both will never be happy with the way any tire holds up on these trucks. I've had several tires now and full snow tires on my ram. It still can't compare to my civic in the rain or snow or even in the dry weather.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am going to spend the money and buy premium tires either all terrain or all season... I'd like to go with 35" tires which limits the selection. I like the Toyo AT2's any recommendations on a good set of tires for our specific trucks?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Nitto Ridge Grapplers are having good reviews, might give them a look as well.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like my Cooper Discoverer ATPs. Quiet, nice lug pattern and deep and a 55000 mile tire.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just my two cents. Any tire that says H/T is not going to do good on anything but dry pavement. I would not ever expect an H/T tire to be any better than drag slicks on snow and ice. If you want a real ALL season tire go for BFG AT/KO2 or Toyo Open Country A/T

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing many don't take into consideration is that even though a truck weighs quite a bit, the back is pretty light. I live in northern Idaho where we get plenty of rain and snow. My Goodyear SRAs performed very well after being siped as long as I kept a few hundred pounds of stuff in the bed. This spring when I removed the winter sand, the truck was suddenly squirrelly. I've since replaced the SRAs with Cooper A/T3s which do have more grip but are not as solid when towing. Add some weight, see if your tires don't improve.