tires & rims for '16 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

husker_jake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys,
I need some serious help...I purchased a '16 1500 Big Horn on July 16th...the dealer and I planned a 2" level kit (have limited heigh of garage, only 82" of available height), 35" Open Country MT (35x12.5) and 18" Ultra Bent Wheels.

The issue is I am being told by my local shop that the 35's are going to be too big/too much tire since I am only coming up 2" in the front with the kit. They said I would be cutting it super close and the likelihood of rubbing is greater.

They suggested the 33" Open County MT, which I did prefer the 35" for the beefy look but if 33" is what is suggested, I'd have to sacrifice.

The new issue is the wheels..since the 1500 Big Horn comes stock with 20" wheels, and I am downsizing to an 18", the guys at the shop said there could be an issue with rubbing the knuckle on the inside of the wheel.

Does anyone have a similar set up or have experience with putting an 18" wheel on the 1500? I am supposed to have the install tomorrow, but with these new findings - I want to make sure I am in the clear.

Any help is appreciated!

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A quick search will pull up more threads on this than you could imagine.

35s will fit with 2" lift up front.

18" rims will fit, 17" is the smallest to clear the rotors.

Backspacing on the rims would be your only concern with a wider tire. 5" would be a safe bet with 18s.

Do some searching.

Dirtbikekid1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 Laramie Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine
hemi 5.7
18"s are fine... Some models come with 18s stock. I have 18" fuel maverick 0 offset on 35x11.4 Toyo RT and they do not rub. What offset are u running on your new wheels? Anything 0 and down(-12,-24, ect) will not rub. Some people get away with 12.5" tires with stock offset(stock offset on 20s is +19) but I would recommend at least 0. Here's myn on a 2" lift. 448de1936928ff8d646dbf155e8d1e87.jpg77fb1017ab4fc725e11638b407d1b92f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

husker_jake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot dirtbikekid - that helps.

The offset on the wheels ordered were +18mm...should I be concerned there?

Austin B - thanks for that advice. I looked around a little but didn't see anything specifying this type of set up...what exactly do you mean by backspacing on the rims with the wider tire?

I apologize in advance, this is my first attempt at lifting a truck, bigger tires, etc - still familiarizing myself with the terms, and such - thanks again!

OP
OP
H

husker_jake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you guys think that the 35" Open County Toyos, the 18" Ultra Bent wheel (+18mm offset) and the 2" level kit - should have no issues after install?

The first concern I had was height of the truck and whether it would fit in my garage. I think I should be ok there, as my previous research determined that the current height of the truck (around 78") plus the 2" kit and 1" of bigger tires I should come in under the 82" of clearance that I have...

dirtbikekid - after your 35s and your 2" lift, do you know how high the truck is sitting? I really like the look of yours, that is the same look I am going for...

Dirtbikekid1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot dirtbikekid - that helps.

The offset on the wheels ordered were +18mm...should I be concerned there?

Austin B - thanks for that advice. I looked around a little but didn't see anything specifying this type of set up...what exactly do you mean by backspacing on the rims with the wider tire?

I apologize in advance, this is my first attempt at lifting a truck, bigger tires, etc - still familiarizing myself with the terms, and such - thanks again!

It's tough to say if they will rub.. Like I said a lot people have put 12.5 wide tires on stock wheels without any rubbing, so it's a tough call. Back spacing is how far from the back of the wheel to where's the hub bolts on.
af8efed3817ac4276a7265159c0f6d93.png

Dirtbikekid1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So you guys think that the 35" Open County Toyos, the 18" Ultra Bent wheel (+18mm offset) and the 2" level kit - should have no issues after install?

The first concern I had was height of the truck and whether it would fit in my garage. I think I should be ok there, as my previous research determined that the current height of the truck (around 78") plus the 2" kit and 1" of bigger tires I should come in under the 82" of clearance that I have...

dirtbikekid - after your 35s and your 2" lift, do you know how high the truck is sitting? I really like the look of yours, that is the same look I am going for...

Myn is a full 2" lift(lifted both front and rear). Sorry I don't know the actual hight of my truck but I know my fender heights(40" front and 42" rear)

OP
OP
H

husker_jake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks dirtbikekid - really appreciate your help man.

I think I might say F-it and go with the 35s and see what happens. From the link you attached above, it seems as though that is the same look/set up I am going for and he says he's got no rubbing, so hopefully that is the case with my set up.

Now..about the height...

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Offset doesn't mean anything without knowing the width of the rim.

If you don't have the wheels yet (assuming 18x9).. then I would go for something around 0mm offset.

Have to be careful when reading about people saying their "tires don't rub" or "fits fine"... most of the time, after more questions, you find out that they do in fact rub.. and usually only at full lock, which is still rubbing in my book.

Most are true stories, Im sure.. but after dropping $3000 on new wheels.. you don't want to come right out and tell 1000s of strangers that you fked up.

OP
OP
H

husker_jake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Austin -

Yes, wheels are 18x9 - the ones they ordered are +18mm...but honestly, the dealer appears to know less than I do about the aftermarket products they sell, so I am a little frustrated at the fact that this set up is what they originally suggested at the time I purchased the truck which has prompted my research.

The exact wheel specs are below;

Wheel: Ultra Motorsports Bent (Black w/ Milled Accent)
Size: 18x9
Offset: 18mm
Backspacing: 5.748"
Bolt Pattern: 5-139
Rec Tire Size: 255/70-18
Weight: 31.55lbs

The tires are;

Tire: Open Country R/T LRE BSW
Size: 35x12.50R18
Type: Truck-Mud Terrain

I'd asked them to specify what type of leveling kit they're putting on, but they still haven't provided me with that information...in this case I am not sure if that information will impact the decision on the tire/wheel size.

From you guys' expert advice, what is the worst case scenario if I tell them to move forward with original plans?

OP
OP
H

husker_jake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks dude - I am trying to do that, I don't think they're intentionally trying to screw me over or anything, as ultimately I told them the type of look/stance I am going for, yet somewhat limited based on the height of my garage clearance.

I just figured if someone on this forum had a similar set up (which based on a few responses seems likes some guys do) if there is anything else I am not checking or educating myself on before giving the go-ahead.

OP
OP
H

husker_jake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
alright, she is out of the shop

Zone J22/12 level kit
35x12.5R18 Open Country RTs
18x9 Ultra Motorsports Bent wheel
15% tint
Rhino lined bed liner

I think it turned out great!

Attachments

• truck tire.JPG
    truck tire.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 62
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
H

husker_jake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I picked up the truck tonight, and it looks great.

I checked under the wheel well at full lock to see if any rubbing, etc. I did not notice any rubbing on any inside of the wheel well, plastic, etc - however, what i did notice is that (forgive my lack of terminology) but appears to be a part of the suspension - is extremely close to rubbing/touching the tire. It is probably less than a quarter inch of space between the tire, and rubbing the (x).

I attached pictures from birds-eye view...is this something I should be concerned about?

Attachments

• truck 3.jpg
    truck 3.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 44
  • truck 1.jpg
    truck 1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
H

husker_jake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone have feedback to my post above? The space between that (U-joint?) to the tire is probably 0.25", if that. Is that even safe???