Tonneau cover advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rx88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So about to take a little road trip with the family lookin to get a hard tonneau cover to help keep all the cargo dry and not have to worry about someone tearing it up to steal my stuff. I'm looking for quality but decently priced I'm considering the rough country hard cover they have it for 599 and looks pretty solid. Any of you guys have any experience with these or maybe point me in the direction of other items to consider it would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing to keep in mind, if you get a hardcover that does not fold you will not be able to haul anything taller than about 24"-25". I have a fiberglass Leer cover that I like, it is waterproof, it is secure and it's color matched to the truck, however it is heavy--you will need help if you want to take it off. They ain't cheap either.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Rx88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
One thing to keep in mind, if you get a hardcover that does not fold you will not be able to haul anything taller than about 24"-25". I have a fiberglass Leer cover that I like, it is waterproof, it is secure and it's color matched to the truck, however it is heavy--you will need help if you want to take it off. They ain't cheap either.

Jay

Yea I'm looking at the hard folders something that just clamps on and doesn't require me to screw anything in the my bed

13igtymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out bakflip tonnue covers. They have a tri fold covers and a hard rolling cover called revolver x2.

OP
OP
R

Rx88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check out bakflip tonnue covers. They have a tri fold covers and a hard rolling cover called revolver x2.

Yea those are pretty nice but I'm just not looking to spend that much on a cover 600 is pretty much my max

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yea those are pretty nice but I'm just not looking to spend that much on a cover 600 is pretty much my max

check out the undercover "flex" I just got mine a month ago and I love it. wish I had got it sooner.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

I'd stay away from the G2. I had one on my Ford and after three years the seams had all shifted and leaked every time it rained. The release handles had cracked as well. I did not abuse the cover.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have the Tonno Pro Hard Fold, I think it was $550 with a $50 rebate. Happy with it and keeps 99% of the crazy Florida rains out. Installs with clamps fore and aft and can fold for tall cargo or be easily removed.
[yt]p4IGZMTSlQo[/yt]

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You aren't going to get anything durable (lasts more than a couple years) and near waterproof for that kind of money. So get something cheap and cover everything in the bed with a tarp. Thats what I used to do with my leaky BakFlip, some things still got a little damp.

Decent hard covers are expensive. MOPAR makes a good one if you want watertight, but its not in your price range.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You aren't going to get anything durable (lasts more than a couple years) and near waterproof for that kind of money. So get something cheap and cover everything in the bed with a tarp. Thats what I used to do with my leaky BakFlip, some things still got a little damp.

Decent hard covers are expensive. MOPAR makes a good one if you want watertight, but its not in your price range.

Beg to differ, $550 gets you a hard cover with a lifetime warranty on Aluminum rails, aluminum components, clamps, hinges, bows and hardware, with LUND International.

Just looked up my receipt and it is currently $550, but I bought it during the Memorial Day sale for $476 and a $50 rebate on a Visa card.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rx88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the Tonno Pro Hard Fold, I think it was $550 with a $50 rebate. Happy with it and keeps 99% of the crazy Florida rains out. Installs with clamps fore and aft and can fold for tall cargo or be easily removed.

[yt]p4IGZMTSlQo[/yt]

Wow that's pretty impressive I have seen them on amazon but there are not many reviews on them

OP
OP
R

Rx88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I ended up going with the rough country I didn't have to pay tax or shipping so it ends up being what I would have paid for the tonno pro or less There will be a review and pics to follow thanks for the suggestions but most were out of my price point

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Beg to differ, $550 gets you a hard cover with a lifetime warranty on Aluminum rails, aluminum components, clamps, hinges, bows and hardware, with LUND International.

Just looked up my receipt and it is currently $550, but I bought it during the Memorial Day sale for $476 and a $50 rebate on a Visa card.

I looked at those when I was shopping. Buddy had one, leaked like a sieve, no warranty on that.. and seemed cheaply made. Many poor reviews if that matters to anyone, but it does serves its purpose. Throw a tarp over the stuff in the bed and you are OK.

I was saying that you pretty much get what you pay for and there is nothing wrong with going cheap, as long as your expectations aren't that high :) I think the OP was looking for something that won't leak, but if he can live with that just about any tonneau will do.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
So I ended up going with the rough country I didn't have to pay tax or shipping so it ends up being what I would have paid for the tonno pro or less There will be a review and pics to follow thanks for the suggestions but most were out of my price point

I'm interested to see what you think and would like to see installed pics. In the video of the f150 on their website it didn't look like the cover fit very well...looked like the corner of the cover hung over the corner of the tailgate.

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I like the concept of the Tonno Pro, does anyone know of a similar hard fold for a Ram with Rambox?