Tonneau Cover for Sport w/ Rambox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

staRang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '16 Sport - Blackout - with Rambox. Just purchased a Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, and well, it doesn't fit.

The rails (which are all black) on the inside of my truck, appear to be different than the "regular" rails. They sit flush with the top of the side compartments. Whereas the regular rails, sit below the side compartments.

My truck:
mine.jpg

Regular:
regular.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions on which covers might fit? Or, would I be better off buying different rails? I currently have the OEM tri-fold soft cover on now, but would like to get something more durable + secure.

Thanks in advance.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My dad has an access cover on his which works with Ram Box perfectly. Not sure what other options are out there but I retrax has something too.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have a '16 Sport - Blackout - with Rambox. Just purchased a Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, and well, it doesn't fit.

The rails (which are all black) on the inside of my truck, appear to be different than the "regular" rails. They sit flush with the top of the side compartments. Whereas the regular rails, sit below the side compartments.

My truck:
View attachment 86253

Regular:
View attachment 86254

Does anyone have any suggestions on which covers might fit? Or, would I be better off buying different rails? I currently have the OEM tri-fold soft cover on now, but would like to get something more durable + secure.

Thanks in advance.

did you verify they sent the correct one for rambox??? I have had bakflips before and do not care for them, don't like the back window being covered when fully opened. I have the Bak Revolver X2 hard rollup.. Like it much better...

OP
OP
S

staRang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dad has an access cover on his which works with Ram Box perfectly. Not sure what other options are out there but I retrax has something too.

The Retrax look really nice, but, I'd had to drop another $800 or so. Might be worth it though, hmm.

did you verify they sent the correct one for rambox??? I have had bakflips before and do not care for them, don't like the back window being covered when fully opened. I have the Bak Revolver X2 hard rollup.. Like it much better...

Yes, I did. I called, and was on the phone with them for a good 20 minutes. At th end, the guy I was speaking with said that there aren't any covers that will work with the black rails. Which is comical, because I technically have a cover already.

OP
OP
S

staRang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just spoke to someone at the dealership, in the parts dept, and apparently, I can't even buy the "regular" rails. And, if I did get my hands on some, he said they wouldn't even install properly.

Can't find the part number anywhere.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's strange that they would have made the black version of the rails any different. Maybe see if you can get a pair of the standard rambox cargo management rails and spray them in black or even bedliner and then use them.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
As a test can you flip your rails up side down? If that fits you know a rail swap or cutting the extra material off will work.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine

The standard rails seem a bit higher and are a basic C shape. The ones on his truck have a radically different profile.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
If the bed width is the same you should be able to find a piece of L-Channel aluminum or other metal to replace the rails.

OP
OP
S

staRang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a test can you flip your rails up side down? If that fits you know a rail swap or cutting the extra material off will work.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Apparently, these rails come factory installed with the soft tri-fold tonneau cover.

I can't even find any of the regular rails to order/buy. :emotions122: