Tonneau Covers: BakFlip Roll-X v. Retrax MX Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie quad cab 4x4 with Ramboxes and am considering a new tonneau cover. I have narrowed my search to 2 hard, aluminum coil covers:
1.) The BakFlip Roll-X - apparently a new version of this called the "Revolver" is due tobe released next month; or
2.) The Retrax Pro MX retractable cover with an under the cover canister with ball bearing construction and completely sealed.

Does anyone have experience with either cover? Any faults? Recommendations?

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
I had a bak-flip on my nissan and it was a POS.. the manufacturer didn't stand by it at all. It worked sorta, leaked a lot more than any vinyl tonneau I've used. Tossed in in the trash after about 5 years...

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with roll-x (if you go with roll-x go see morrie at bakfactoryoutlet.com) because I didn't want the canister in the bed taking up room. I mainly haul mountain bikes so the roll-x worked better for me and I felt like leaking would be a non issue with the vinyl coating (just needing to seal the edges if I needed to). I like it so far.

on my truck I ended up using both of the weatherstrips they provided (stacked on top of each other) for the bulkhead area to close the gap, with just one or the other you could see daylight and/or fit a finger through the gap.

SteelerRam

Reaction score
I got the extang solid fold - it can be folded up quickly to give you access to 2/3 of the bed (30 seconds) without removing it or can be completely removed by one person in about three minutes - same time/effort to reinstall. That was key for me. Plus it's aircraft grade aluminum so you can actually stand on top of it. I just fold it up and use it as a bench for the truck bed while tailgating. And I'm pretty sure at $800 it's less expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know you narrowed it down, but did you look at Fold-a-cover G4 Elite?

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had a couple Retrax covers. They are great.

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the Roll X make any noise while driving? It seems those aluminum slats would vibrate and rattle.

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no noise, I've been driving with my back window open here lately and the pothole is our state flower...

It looks like it would be noisy but it is quite a substantial cover, pretty solid piece of kit.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
no noise, I've been driving with my back window open here lately and the pothole is our state flower...

It looks like it would be noisy but it is quite a substantial cover, pretty solid piece of kit.
How well does this one seal up? I had a Rollbak with the canister and it let a lot of water in where the cover mated to the tailgate. A new truck may be in my near future and I won't be able to use my Undercover solid cover. I'll need better access to the full bed and removing the undercover is a pain and nearly impossible with one person.

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
Thanks to everyone who contributed - I think I am going to go with the Retrax

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I know this is an old thread but I'm agreeing with Fat1. The cover is nice and quiet BUT the plastic clips would occasionally hit the back of the cab from time to time, making a "taping" sound. I used some rubber bands around them so when they did hit the cab, I didn't hear it. All is well there.

The only leaks I have are where my stake hole pockets are open. No fault of the tonneau cover since I really need to cover those up anyway. I'm happy with my Roll-X.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is an Undercover Flex, Tri fold and gives you full access to the bed. keeps water out even in auto car washes

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered a Retrax Pro for my current truck.

RAM_CRNA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7l Hemi V8 MDS 4x4
I went with roll-x (if you go with roll-x go see morrie at bakfactoryoutlet.com) because I didn't want the canister in the bed taking up room. I mainly haul mountain bikes so the roll-x worked better for me and I felt like leaking would be a non issue with the vinyl coating (just needing to seal the edges if I needed to). I like it so far.

on my truck I ended up using both of the weatherstrips they provided (stacked on top of each other) for the bulkhead area to close the gap, with just one or the other you could see daylight and/or fit a finger through the gap.

got the roll x too after days of research. also used both weatherseals at the front. installed it myself. appx 90 mins. seals very well. what small leaks i get comes from the front where the retainer straps exit the double seals and where the bed rail meets the front wall. basically just drops after a downpour. highly recommend morrie at bakfactoryoutlet.com. best deal and got it fast. good luck with your decision.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just installed my Retrax-Pro this morning. As mentioned I've had a few Retrax covers in the past and they used to rattle when I hit a bump, but this Pro version doesn't make a sound. Awesome cover.
70fa7ad8931f818742b4e6484bef67d5.jpg
538a208db87b36d2ebc7c14651d19260.jpg

Kaiserstatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Retrax pro here as well, only moisture I got was from the sides of the tailgate. Fixed that with a tailgate seal kit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn