Topper/Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just got a new Leer topper for my new Ram CC. I've had toppers on other trucks and have never had a problem with rain leaking in. The back hatch window design is new and functions very nicely. However, I've discovered that rain leaks in at the intersection of the hatch window/tailgate on each side. Then it runs the length of the side rails and drips on the floor and wheel wells. I called the Leer dealer, but he claims that since the tailgate isn't sealed anyways, they probably can't do anything. Again, the new design seems like an improvement and it closes much easier, but I've never had a water problem with other Leer toppers.

I'm just wondering if other Leer owners have encountered similar issues and have a solution. Any suggestions aside from "not driving in the rain" would be appreciated.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had Leer toppers also and had water problems and got about the same response from the dealer as you did. I told them for a thousand + for the topper they needed to do better than that. I WENT to the dealer and they poured water from a hose on the topper, found the leak, and fixed it. On another Leer I had they wanted to send it back to the factory for repair and said it would take anywhere from 10-12 weeks. I told them to FO and fixed it myself. Good luck, I hope they can cure your problem. Take it to them, don't let them screw you around on the phone.
Jay

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Did you get the leak fixed?
I think so. I used some adhesive foam weather seal on the small gaps where the hatch/tailgate meet at the corners. If not fixed, at least it is better! Certainly not a big enough problem to let them send the whole topper back to Elkhart for 8-10 weeks. If I live long enough to ever be able to buy another new truck and topper, I'll probably investigate a different brand topper if Leer is still using the same set-up. This gives me a "goal!" :)