tpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdeere05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
how do you know if your truck has that, i have a 2012 bighorn andnot sure if i have it or not

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have EVIC ? If so, does it show tire pressures on the menu ?

it should also be on your window sticker under standard /safety equipment on the left side

OP
OP
jdeere05

jdeere05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
ahh well i will go outside and look then..lol, thanks guys

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Due to the significant influence tire pressure has on vehicle safety and efficiency, TPMS was first adopted widely by the European market as an optional feature for luxury passenger vehicles in the 1980s. The first passenger vehicle to adopt tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) was the Porsche 959 in 1986, using a hollow spoke wheel system developed by PSK. In 1996 Renault used the Michelin PAX system[1] for the Scenic and in 1999 the PSA Peugeot Citroën decided to adopt TPM as a standard feature on the Peugeot 607. The following year (2000), Renault launched the Laguna II, the first high volume mid-size passenger vehicle in the world to be equipped with TPM as a standard feature.
In the United States, the Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the Clinton administration to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of severe under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007. Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007. In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models (M1) must be equipped with a TPMS. For N1 vehicles, TPMS are not mandatory, but if a TPMS is fitted, it must comply with the regulation.
After the Tread Act was passed, many companies responded to the new market opportunity by releasing TPMS products that use an obvious means of getting tire pressure and temperature data across a vehicle's rotating wheel-chassis boundary — battery-powered radio transmitter wheel modules.
The introduction of run-flat tires and emergency spare tires by several tire and vehicle manufacturers has motivated to make at least some basic TPMS mandatory when using run flat tires. With run flat tires, the driver will most likely not notice that a tire is running flat, hence the so-called "run flat warning systems" were introduced. These are most often first generation, purely roll-radius based iTPMS, which ensure that run-flat tires are not used beyond their limitations, usually 80 km/h and 80 km driving distance.
In recent years, several advancements have been made in the TPMS market. New developments aim at battery-less systems, such as those developed by VisiTyre TPMS,[2] and advanced iTPMS.
STE Engineering has introduced an energy efficient wireless sensor device based on a technology called SPX (Short Pulse Technology) which integrates a hybrid ceramic circuit inside the body of a standard tire stem.
The iTPMS market has progressed as well. Indirect TPMS are able to detect under-inflation through combined use of roll radius and spectrum analysis and hence four-wheel monitoring has become feasible. With this breakthrough, meeting the legal requirements is possible also with iTPMS such as the Tire Pressure Indicator by NIRA Dynamics AB.[3]
TPI by NIRA was the first iTPMS to comply with the United States regulation FMVSS 138, as it was released with the Audi A6 for the 2009 model year. Since then, it has been introduced in various VW and Audi models and is in use in the United States in more than 250,000 vehicles. NIRA had their system TPI successfully tested by certification organization TÜV Süd Automotive for compliance with the future European legislation ECE-R64.[4]

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
well I found out this morning I do. I have a stripped Express with the near useless Info Center and it went off. I have no idea which tire based on the display just that one is low.

I filled the low one from 30 psi to 35 psi to match the others but the warning is still on?

Do these reset themselves or do I have to do it manually somehow?

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
well I found out this morning I do. I have a stripped Express with the near useless Info Center and it went off. I have no idea which tire based on the display just that one is low.

I filled the low one from 30 psi to 35 psi to match the others but the warning is still on?

Do these reset themselves or do I have to do it manually somehow?

lol glad i posted all that i told you ALL new cars do and sometimes you have to drive them a bit for them to go off after you put air in them