TPMS sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If one were to not have sensors installed on new wheels what is expected to happen?

Going to a higher psi tire on my '10 1500. Plan to delete the sensors at install. Will I only experience the light on the dash or will there be a repeating audible alarm?

Fill me in......

insanitize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently don't have sensors and I get a warning tone at startup and the evic says tire pressure monitor failure (or something like that) then the warning light flashes for a while. After this the light just stays on. I've been driving like this for a few months because I'm to lazy to pick up monitors and have them installed.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I believe u can have the TPMS disabled in the PCM. Dealer can do it or perhaps an aftermarket tuner.

OP
OP
Z-Rider

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer won't do it. Against Federal laws for them to disable it.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I know there are people thay put all 4 in a pvc pipe and install a tire valve on it and glue it shut air it up then put it under the back seat.
No lights and you can run what ever pressure you want to.

Never done it myself but have gave it some thought.

OP
OP
Z-Rider

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know there are people thay put all 4 in a pvc pipe and install a tire valve on it and glue it shut air it up then put it under the back seat.
No lights and you can run what ever pressure you want to.

Never done it myself but have gave it some thought.

I've considered this but not sure how the truck would know which sensor is which.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've considered this but not sure how the truck would know which sensor is which.

If it in fact works you would need to have the pressure over the maximum pressure setting - prolly what the rear is set for. In my case - over 80psi.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Iam not sure but you can you tube it and there are a few videos of people doing this.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
im pretty sure the sensors in these trucks need to rotate in order to read correctly, so i cant see the pipe thing working. i have seen it work in other vehicles though.

going to a tire that has a higher max psi doesnt mean your going to run it at max. maybe 5 psi more then what your OE tires were rated for, 10 psi tops. should not be any need for more then that, and that wont cause any issues with the tpms system.

OP
OP
Z-Rider

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run load range E tires and to hit their weight capacity they are rated at 80psi

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
there is no need to have anywhere near 80psi in your tires on a 1500. keep the sensors and you wont have to deal with the stupid chime/warning light.