TPMS and tire rotation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, when you rotate the tires, how do you adjust the readout in the center console for the new tire locations?

Lconnally

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I have a 2017 3500, when I rotated them recently within the first few miles of driving it updated them automatically. I purposely had different pressures so I would know. No idea how it works, but it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is an antenna in each wheel well. The sensors send out a pressure reading every 100 revolutions or so. The computer records the sensor ID and pressure for each corner, which is available for display or warnings. The computer knows which sensor is at which corner.

When you mix up the wheels/tires, the computer detects a mismatch between what it thinks a sensor ID is for that corner and what it is receiving, after a couple reports, its smart enough to update the record and move on. So its all automatic, but may take 15 minutes to sort out ofter swapping wheels.

Many other manufactures, notably asian rim, don't provide a smart controller. Those systems have to be manually programmed, usually only by a dealer. A PITA. They are slowly moving into more modern computer and software technology, however. They just have been slow to adopt.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Somewhst related questions. Here... I have aftermarket rims and tires and I didn't have my stock tpms put in my new setup.... However my new set up had two valve stems... One on the inside of rim and then the standard one on the outside .... Is the inside one for aftermarket tpms????

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
tpms for lack of a better terms are mini radio transmitters / blue tooth they are mounted inside the rim at the base of the valve cores

dual valve rims are usually set up for air up air down systems

OP
OP
CrispyBacon

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, why the hell was this put in the "Exterior" sub-forum?? I could possibly understand "Electronics", but the question I asked had nothing to do with exterior things.... My question was about an electrical system (TPMS).

Springhook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I recently had my dually tires rotated at Firestone. I have six steel wheels. TPMS would not record the new tire positions. After several visits to dealer, I was told that there is a specific way to rotate duallys. Inside rears MUST stay on inside as they have a different sensor. So, inside rears swap side to side. Outside rears swap side to side and fronts swap side to side. Anyone ever hear of this?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Somewhst related questions. Here... I have aftermarket rims and tires and I didn't have my stock tpms put in my new setup.... However my new set up had two valve stems... One on the inside of rim and then the standard one on the outside .... Is the inside one for aftermarket tpms????

Your wheels have 2 valve stems per wheel???

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes one on the outside of wheel and one on inside.

BEAST19
'15 Ram 1500 5.7L
Blacked out brilliant black bighorn
Fully functional hood
Custom quad switchback halo
Fuel vapors wrapped in 33"x12.5nittos
MBPR Exhaust
ARH Longtube headers
Pedal Commander
Vararam intake
Diablo i2
Painted bushwhacker flares
Color matched cab spoiler
87mm TB

Springhook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Do you mean sensors rather than valve stems? How would you put air in a valve stem that's inside a wheel?