Truck is paid off, now your advice is needed for the fun mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I paid off my ram in May, now I want to have a bit more fun with it making it my own. It's a 2013 longhorn with air suspension so my suspension options are a bit limited.

I am very interested in a bed cover, either bakflip or retrax, and maybe a bull bar with some better fog lights.

My ideal build would be something like a light overland rig (no need for the sleeping aspect of overland rigs, though).

What else should I be looking at?

Ndziy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you are looking into performance look at a diablo tuner with the hemifever tune. you will smile i promise.. as for sound if you want low end torque and a nice growl look at short tube headers (i've got longs on mine they are unreal) they open the truck right up and the hemi tick isn't very common if you install them properly with OEM ex. manifold gaskets and bolts.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sounds like you already have some exterior ideas.
So let's talk performance...
I assume your drive-train is stock?
If so, there are things to preserve your investment, things to make it more responsive, things to make it faster, and along the way some of those things will make it louder, from "Hey I got a Hemi" to "Hella-loud" depending on your preference.
Thing is you have still got a little bit of 5yr/100K warranty left. So, to keep the warranty intact I wouldn't get a Tuner even though the performance increase is VERY satisfying (pain in the ass to de-tune each time before taking for dealer repair--or worse, broken at side of road, no way to pull tune, and towing to dealer--queue evil music).
The first few warranty-safe mods on a stock truck
would be (not necessarily in order):
--Catch Can to protect your investment ~ $135
--Pedal Commander to improve throttle response ~$290
--S&B or Vararam CAI ~$300 - $350
--Mufflex bolt-on muffler replacement (14", 18" or 24") lets you dial in the sound to your preference as a no weld muffler change. ~ $300; +~$150 if you pay for install instead of DIY.
--Ported Throttle Body (gets up to 8% more air flow, but only as you approach wide open--its a factory TB machined wider internally and hard to detect so reasonably safe on warranty, but not gonna do much until you tune or add headers). ~$350
--Once the warranty is done, and if you're looking for more power, then those long tube headers and that tuner. No price data because I haven't gone there and I haven't decided if I want to go that far.
--After that comes gears, torque converter and the real speed products like NOx, or a supercharger--definitely not warranty or wallet friendly.

Best part is its your truck and no mod is wrong if its what YOU chose*.
* Except throttle body spacers--those are an evil rip off.
:burnout:

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should have mentioned a few extra details. The truck already has
18" manga flow muffler
Catch can (since day two of ownership)

I also have the max care lifetime warranty so the super modifications to the power train will be a no go for me.

I have been told that my options for a bull bar/lights are limited due to the more unique front grill and bumper on the long horn, but that might just be here say.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
Do you like the 4 corner air suspension that you have?
Pros, cons?

OP
OP
W

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you like the 4 corner air suspension that you have?
Pros, cons?

I have greatly enjoyed the air suspension. It's load leveling has proven helpful and the aero mode on the highway gets me over 20mpg when cruising.

The biggest con is in really, really cold weather in WI sometimes they don't work as well. But once the ice thaws it works great.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I have greatly enjoyed the air suspension.
Thank you very much .
I may order a 2018 Ram, it must have the 4 corner air suspension.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I plan to get the bak revolver bed cover

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Bak x2 tonneau is awesome. Could do super chips. Either horse power fun, better mpg or better performance for towing plus you can check error codes and do simple mods like speedometer for if you change tire size. Superchips does not leave ghost data or a data footprint.

By the way......
It is illegal for a dealership to void your warranty based solely on the fact that you have installed an aftermarket product. The dealership must prove in a court of law that an aftermarket product has decisively caused the damage to the vehicle under warranty.

For information regarding denial of warranty coverage, review the Magnuson-Moss warranty act

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the Retrax One MX (matte version) & love it.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Bak x2 tonneau is awesome. Could do super chips. Either horse power fun, better mpg or better performance for towing plus you can check error codes and do simple mods like speedometer for if you change tire size. Superchips does not leave ghost data or a data footprint.

By the way......
It is illegal for a dealership to void your warranty based solely on the fact that you have installed an aftermarket product. The dealership must prove in a court of law that an aftermarket product has decisively caused the damage to the vehicle under warranty.

For information regarding denial of warranty coverage, review the Magnuson-Moss warranty act
A tuner is drop dead easy to prove its your fault because it changes the programming of the engine. FCA Corporate Shyster say: "defeating manufacturer safety protocols".
Chrysler refuses warranty claims all the time. They have lawyers on staff, do you?

Bolt on mods are hard for dealer to prove caused a failure (short of headers and superchargers) under the Magnusson-Moss Act. They will typically back down on this type of warranty claim.

However changing the engine's programming is a slam-dunk for the corporate shyster...
He's on salary and already getting paid to go to court, you on the other hand are writing checks for a broke truck AND an ambulance chaser of your own and missing work--feel your nuts in a vice yet?