Truly Black Out Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everybody

I've been planning this out for a while and I just keep backtracking as nothing seems to be a good plan. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with projector lights (black edition).

I love the black out with everything but the lights are killing me. The rear lights are bright red and the front fog lights are practically our white. In my opinion, it really ruins the black out theme. So, I have been looking at ways to darken these light systems.

I really don't care for tinting the factory lights. It looks good enough but everything I've seen reduces light output dramatically if you go dark enough to match the black out theme. So I'd prefer not to just tint the lights. I'd prefer to swap them out for a new assembly.

My real problem is I want all the lights to match. I have precisionLED bulbs in the interior of my truck and the rear. But they don't make bulbs for the front exterior lights. I want to upgrade the High and low beams and fog lights with LEDs. So I could get bulbs that match the 6000k color I have in the back and the interior, but I still need to swap the light assemblies out to black everything out the way I want. All the aftermarket fog lights I see have their own built in led bulbs that I worry won't match everything else. And the I see some bad reviews on most of the cool looking after market rear lights.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and figured out some good alternatives? I suppose I am asking a three part question:

1. Any good recommendations for aftermarket fog lights/rear lights that look good with the black edition?

2. Will 6000k color scheme always be consistent across multiple companies?

3. Is this really possible or am I just going to have to settle for tinting these lights?

Any help from you guys would greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone!

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. Any good recommendations for aftermarket fog lights/rear lights that look good with the black edition?

2. Will 6000k color scheme always be consistent across multiple companies?

3. Is this really possible or am I just going to have to settle for tinting these lights?

1) Retrofit source/retroshop should be coming out with a black housing led setup for the fogs soon.

2) Not necessarily. They should be close but some are off a little...more so with knock off eBay/Amazon brands.

3) it's really possible.

OP
OP
EVc96bKA

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your reply.

Do you know when retro will be coming out with these? Is JJ still the good point of contact for them?

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if this will help, but was looking into this very lightly as I'm building an audio system.
a27b331202a3cdf0fffb512c986262a9.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
EVc96bKA

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's actually a pretty nice setup. Looks exactly like what I want. I wonder what the quality is like.

I was looking at just buying an entire setup from retro even though it would be crazy expensive, but since it doesn't look like they do anything other than headlights, I might as well get an entire set from somewhere so it all matches.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know when retro will be coming out with these? Is JJ still the good point of contact for them?

Not 100%....9-12 already have them out. I know they were in the process of making the 13-17 I believe. Ya, give jj a shout. He'd probably have a more definite answer.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I had prototypes here......didn't like them. Asked for a revision......

So......more updates on that soon.

We can certainly do a full blackout light / tails too. email or call me, we can get you cared for (info in sig!)

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I had prototypes here......didn't like them. Asked for a revision......

So......more updates on that soon.

We can certainly do a full blackout light / tails too. email or call me, we can get you cared for (info in sig!)

this right here, he can fix you up, or you can go simple and buy the OEM black edition headlights

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Not sure if this will help, but was looking into this very lightly as I'm building an audio system.
a27b331202a3cdf0fffb512c986262a9.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

and those headlights are OK but not anything special

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
and those headlights are OK but not anything special

I'm running these right now. They look good but with factory bulbs they could be brighter. I need to upgrade bulbs. Be sure to seal them with silicone before install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
EVc96bKA

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already have the factory black projectors. I just want something slightly darker and to add some stylized lighting to it. That's why when I finally get the money together I'll get everything from retro. I already talked to JJ and got some quotes. I'm just going to have to do everything piece by piece I guess staring in the back.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys, sorry for the hijack and ignorance, but does this blacking out of lights diminsh light output or is the "black " heat activated and lighten up up to allow normal light output? Thanks.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, sorry for the hijack and ignorance, but does this blacking out of lights diminsh light output or is the "black " heat activated and lighten up up to allow normal light output? Thanks.

Depends on the type of "blackout"

Some guys shade or tint the lens cover to darken the look which will absolutely diminish light output.

Then there's "blacking out" in which members will actually use black headlight housings, paint reflectors, etc... To achieve the blackout look without sacrificing light output. Often utilizing projectors. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Hey everybody

I really don't care for tinting the factory lights. It looks good enough but everything I've seen reduces light output dramatically if you go dark enough to match the black out theme. So I'd prefer not to just tint the lights. I'd prefer to swap them out for a new assembly.

If done right light is only marginally reduced. If you tint the factory lights get some high power LEDs.

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought the factory black headlights for my truck and the stock bulbs where HORRIBLE. I bought Sylvania ZXTs for the low and high beams and the fogs, BETTER, but I still wasn't happy with them. So I just installed some Lightning Dark LED's for ALL and there 100x + better very happy with the LEDs.