TYC Projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally broke down and made the decision to switch to projector headlights. I debated between having Jeremy retro my quads or getting the TYC projectors. After an email convo with Jeremy I decided to go with the TYC's.

I ordered the lights from Rock Auto on Friday and got them on Saturday. $438 shipped for both. The adapted harness from Jeremy is due to be delivered tomorrow.

I have OPT7 LED's in my quads now and while I really like the look of them I want more light. Around town they're fine, but out in rural areas with no street lighting they just don't throw the beam far enough. A couple of recent road trips in the NC mountains at night was enough to convince me to make the change.

I'll also be ordering an HID kit from Jeremy, but I'm gonna wait until I sell the quads first.

I'm looking forward to this change and can't wait to do the install.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice. I've been tempted to do this myself.

But I already have projectors so can't really convince myself to pull the trigger lol

And $438 isn't a bad price at all.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally broke down and made the decision to switch to projector headlights. I debated between having Jeremy retro my quads or getting the TYC projectors. After an email convo with Jeremy I decided to go with the TYC's.

I ordered the lights from Rock Auto on Friday and got them on Saturday. $438 shipped for both. The adapted harness from Jeremy is due to be delivered tomorrow.

I have OPT7 LED's in my quads now and while I really like the look of them I want more light. Around town they're fine, but out in rural areas with no street lighting they just don't throw the beam far enough. A couple of recent road trips in the NC mountains at night was enough to convince me to make the change.

I'll also be ordering an HID kit from Jeremy, but I'm gonna wait until I sell the quads first.

I'm looking forward to this change and can't wait to do the install.

This is exactly what I did.. you'll love them once you throw the HIDs in there. Personal preference for me was the 35w 5k bulbs. Go 6k if you want that bluish tint. [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The adapter harness is out for delivery today and I went ahead and ordered the HID's from Jeremy this morning. I went with 35w/5k. Just got a ship notification on those, so hopefully they'll be here by Saturday and I can get this all done this weekend.

Gotta pull the black quads tonight and get them boxed and shipped since they're sold. Luckily I don't need to drive the truck everyday so it can sit there without lights for a bit.

Now I just need to come with a plan for mounting those all those resistors...

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now I just need to come with a plan for mounting those all those resistors...[/QUOTE said:
I'm sure you'll notice as I did that the projector adapter harness is a little lacking in length as far as the resistors are concerned. I joined the two grounds and soldered an extension wire to the factory ground points on each side. Made for a much cleaner install and no extra holes for the grounds. I found the resistors super easy to mount on the drivers side off the radiator support(easiest access if you remove the fender liner) and then off the front of the radiator support at a slight angle on the passenger side. Passenger side can be done with just the grille off and headlight out of the way. Remember when your HIDs get in to mount the ballasts with the connectors either facing down or to either side Don't mount them with them facing up. Also use the dielectric grease on all your connections [emoji106]

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Why not on mount ballasts facing up?

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm probably gonna splice some extensions into the resistors and mount them farther away where there's more room to work. I'm gonna end up with a whole mess of them things between the adapter harness and the HID harness. According to the pics it's 8 in total.

I'm curious about the ballast mounting also.... I know to mount the relays facing up, but this is the first I've heard concerning the ballasts.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why not on mount ballasts facing up?

Condensation will get trapped inside the connections leading to corrosion over time.
d1c4024c1bd715cfd71ec807aa4d4740.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
On mine the connectors are not right against the ballast like that. They are away with some wire. I guess I might be lucky in that it won't make a difference?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your ballasts have extension wires on them? Never seen a set up like that. That's pretty cool. All the ones I've ever used or seen are just a box you plug your ignitor and adapter harness into.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your ballasts have extension wires on them? Never seen a set up like that. That's pretty cool. All the ones I've ever used or seen are just a box you plug your ignitor and adapter harness into.

Ya the older morimoto ballasts had ~4" extensions built in

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Learn something new every day [emoji106]