Tyc projectors + retroshop resistors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all! First time poster, should have done this months ago. I need some help and opinions.

I've got some tyc projector headlights installed with retroshop resistors. So from day one I've had issues. I get an error code on my truck for the driver side turn signal. After install everything looks good then I turn the truck on and it stops working. Kicking the code within about 30 seconds. If I turn the lights on it never kicks the code but it doesn't work either.

I've talked to Jeremy since I installed and honestly I need more opinions. Cause I don't know what to do here and I'm not getting any direction.

Things I've done and tried:
Swapped back to the stock headlight. No issues.

Went to the dealership and had them reset the code. It went again just like normal.

Swapped headlights. Put in a different brand new tyc headlight. Same issue.

Swapped resistors. Installed new resistors. Changed ground locations.

Diy tipm reflash unplugged terminals and connected for about an hour and a half.

No matter what it acts the exact same. I was thinking TIPM reflash or whatever would fix it the dealer, but the regular headlight works just fine.

I read a thread where a guy had the same.issue I tried PMing him but got no response. It could be a ground issue but I don't know where would be a better ground spot.

If anybody can give me any suggestions or I put I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ground direct to battery. Check your relays on your wiring harness. Swap them and see if the problem goes to the other side.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you only upgrade to the projectors or also add HIDs? Check your connections for loose or bent pins on your adapter harness. Have you swapped the harnesses from side to side to see if it follows? Make sure your grounds are good. I Soldered both of my resistors in series and added wire so I could attach each side to the factory ground points under the hood. I'm guessing JJ prob told you something along these same lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get the harness with 2 resistors?
For each side..
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry didn't mention it, only upgraded to projectors.

Already switched harnesses multiple times. Nothing.

Can you direct me to the headlight relays? I have no idea where they are and the manual / Google is of no help it all points to tipm.

JJ said the opposite that sometimes putting the grounds together can have an adverse effect.

I'll try putting them together tho and connecting to the ground under the hood and report back.

And yes I have the correct set of resistors.

OP
OP
T

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tied both grounds together and attached it to the battery ground. Same result. Then used barrel connectors to lengthen them individually and connected both to negative terminal on the battery. Same thing.

It works fine but as soon as you fire the truck up it's like all signal to the turn signal just stops and it only flickers.

I also tried leaving the ground unconnected and it did the exact same thing. Which leads me to think for some reason the resistors just aren't grounding.

I put the stock reflector back in to verify it worked and sure enough plugged it in fired it up and it was 100%

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bad headlight

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn that's a weird one. Definitely sounds like a wiring issue. What about just turning on the running lights? Same issue on the one side or is it steady and normal output? You can tell if your resistors are working pretty quickly. They get hot as **** lol.

OP
OP
T

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bad headlight

I already replaced it as I said in the first post.

I've read that connections under the steering column may cause connection issues? I'm going to look under there if anybody has any idea what it's supposed to look like or if there's relays under there or something.

OP
OP
T

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn that's a weird one. Definitely sounds like a wiring issue. What about just turning on the running lights? Same issue on the one side or is it steady and normal output? You can tell if your resistors are working pretty quickly. They get hot as **** lol.

Yeah the headlights work great no problems. I started messing around with the steering column. I can get it working and was able to complete 5-6 starts and turn signals for about 2 min each with no problems. Then of course, I got it again I turned off the signal turned it on and off nothing, moved the column up and down and turned it back on and it worked fine.

All the connections I can see look solid. Not exactly sure which is the headlights haha I'll look up some diagrams tonight to try and identify it.

OP
OP
T

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update, neither turn signal working reliably.

Where I am at is that these resistors are not working properly. I'm going to try a different brand of resistors and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll be going back to stock. I don't know if it's my bad luck or what, I know retroshop has a good reputation but with 2 different sets of resistors, 2 sets of headlights, and still not working properly, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What do you mean by "RetroShop resistors"? Do you mean the quad to projector harness harness or did you build your own adapter and just add resistors?

OP
OP
T

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you mean by "RetroShop resistors"? Do you mean the quad to projector harness harness or did you build your own adapter and just add resistors?

It's the full kit he sells. With the adapter cables and resistors combo for 135. I wasn't having any luck with any solutions, so I ordered a second set and tried those, same result.
However, I performed my Saturday ritual of messing with my lights and moved my resistors on both sides and grounded both grounds on each side to the top of the fender. Still no love.

THEN I installed a capacitor on the driver's side headlight in line with the resistors. Now I have a reliable turn signal, however, my parking light flashes. Id rather not have a parking light than a turn signal flash but it's not a 100% solution.

I'm wondering if I use JJs canbus adapter if that would work. This one is just a simple capacitor off of Amazon. I know his says it's not good for 15+ but this isn't a normal situation as most users report complete plug and play.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
THEN I installed a capacitor on the driver's side headlight in line with the resistors. Now I have a reliable turn signal, however, my parking light flashes. Id rather not have a parking light than a turn signal flash but it's not a 100% solution.

I'm wondering if I use JJs canbus adapter if that would work. This one is just a simple capacitor off of Amazon. I know his says it's not good for 15+ but this isn't a normal situation as most users report complete plug and play.

You may want to try the Diode Dynamics CANbus adapter. I replaced the ones for my LED fogs, plug-n-play and work great. I think they are rated for up to 35W HIDs or any LED headlight.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This one is just a simple capacitor off of Amazon. I know his says it's not good for 15+ but this isn't a normal situation as most users report complete plug and play.

Sounds like your just not listening to what JJ is telling you to do.

OP
OP
T

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like your just not listening to what JJ is telling you to do.

Thanks for your input, I'm just trying to think out of the box as all the in the box solutions haven't worked.

crash - Thanks, I'll order those and see what happens.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you have the capability to measure current and voltage at different points in your setup?

If things work OK with the regular incandescent bulbs, then the truck doesn't like something about the load that's present when the TYCs are hooked up. Generally this means that the current is either higher or lower than it expects. It will be lower with the LEDs alone, so the resistor is there to bring it back up. It sounds like that either isn't happening or its drawing too much current and it thinks there's a short.

OP
OP
T

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I have a multimeter, I'm just not sure on what the outputs should be? Should I measure just at the headlight connections?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Can you post a pic of where you have grounded them?

OP
OP
T

Toasty047

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Attachments

• IMG_20170715_194034724_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170715_194034724_HDR.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 33