UConnect not working after AMP steps installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enscheff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had some Amp power steps installed a few days ago. The next day I went over a bump and the radio (8.0) went black, then seemed to reboot and everything was fine.

This morning I opened the door and the step didn't come down. When I started the truck the step eventually came down, but the screen is black, the heater is on full blast and can't be changed, the front windows won't roll down, and the time/temp in the dashboard display shows "--" and "-40F". On the way to work I went over another bump and I could hear the step finally come back up, and everything seemed to boot up and work for a second, then went back to not working.

It seems like something is loose and/or not making a solid connection. Is it possible they messed something up when they hooked up the Amp power steps?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes they definitely did. It sounds like they have a bad connection or ground wire that they tapped into. Hopefuly they didn't screw up a factory plug or connector. I would take it back ASAP and have them figure out what they did. They make two different kits for the 13 and up Rams one is plug and play and just plugs into your OBD2 port. The other actualy has to be tapped into your factory wiring. I am assuming yours isn't the plug and play version. That is the one I installed in my truck and it's pretty much impossible to screw that one up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enscheff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes they definitely did. It sounds like they have a bad connection or ground wire that they tapped into. Hopefuly they didn't screw up a factory plug or connector. I would take it back ASAP and have them figure out what they did. They make two different kits for the 13 and up Rams one is plug and play and just plugs into your OBD2 port. The other actualy has to be tapped into your factory wiring. I am assuming yours isn't the plug and play version. That is the one I installed in my truck and it's pretty much impossible to screw that one up.

I went back to the place that installed it and they used the kit that plugs into the OBD2 port. I had the error code looked at and it is U110E - lost ambient temp. So that means there is a problem with the temp sensor in the driver side mirror. No idea why that is screwing up the entire system, but I'm going to replace the sensor and see what happens.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Yikes, hopefully you get this fixed! You didn't use the plug and play kit correct?

I'd like to get these for my next truck!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
What a pain in the ass. I would freak out. Glad I didn't have these problems with my amp steps. Almost 2 years and still running great.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went back to the place that installed it and they used the kit that plugs into the OBD2 port. I had the error code looked at and it is U110E - lost ambient temp. So that means there is a problem with the temp sensor in the driver side mirror. No idea why that is screwing up the entire system, but I'm going to replace the sensor and see what happens.

Hopefuly that's your problem. It pretty coincidental. Still don't understand why the steps don't extend and retract like they are supposed to and you had all of the other issues. I have seen the temp sensors have issues in the past on other Rams. You will get a -40 degree and sometimes a check engine light but not all the other problems you were having. Did you try unplugging the steps from the OBD2 plug and seeing if they've corrected themselves. It is possible that the power step module is causing issues with your truck. It may be causing some type of problem in your OBD2 port. Pretty much everything is controlled through it. I also have the power steps. I got the plug and play version and they work great.

OP
OP
E

Enscheff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turns out they put a screw through a wiring harness when they were installing the steps and pretty much shorted out everything electrical in the truck. Dodge found the problem and billed the company that did the install. That one poorly placed screw cost them $805!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured it was something like that. Just didn't make sense. Glad they got it figured out and it didn't cause permanent damage your truck.

RamblinRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Turns out they put a screw through a wiring harness when they were installing the steps and pretty much shorted out everything electrical in the truck. Dodge found the problem and billed the company that did the install. That one poorly placed screw cost them $805!
I just installed mine and there are no screws to install near a wiring harness. The only screws are the ones that go thru the punched holes in the pinch weld. I bet they cut into the harness going thru the firewall. It just pays to do things yourself if you have the time and tools, not a hard install.

OP
OP
E

Enscheff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed mine and there are no screws to install near a wiring harness. The only screws are the ones that go thru the punched holes in the pinch weld. I bet they cut into the harness going thru the firewall. It just pays to do things yourself if you have the time and tools, not a hard install.

Supposedly it was a screw they used to secure the power step wires somewhere underneath the truck. Somewhere under the driver's seat I think.