Ughhh Front bumper replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just going to the store and sitting at a light. Traffic started then stopped, I looked over about the time they stopped for some reason, and ended up hitting the Tacoma in front of me at less than 5 mph. Almost got stopped I hit the brakes but wasn't enough.

Hit his hitch so there was no damage to his Tacomaa so he said sucks for you but, we we're cool and we left.

My bumper plastic near the fog light tore where the ball pushed into the plastic. Doesn't seem like any damage behind the plastic that I can see. And there are a few small dents and a paint chip on the front portion of the bumper.

So options now. I can turn self into insurance (500 deductible), quote a shop to just repair (can they even repair a tear?) or are there any cool bumpers I should look into adding.

Only concern is if there is any sensor or anything in the front I might have damaged? It sounds like the fan is whistling a bit to me. But it may have done it before and I'm just listening for it now. And also the truck didn't start the first time I tried it after. But I recycled the key and it started fine.

Its a 2017 and somehow I've damaged this truck more already than my previous like 8 vehicles combined.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, I am sorry to hear that. That's a real bummer ☹️

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think the tear could be fixed. If it was able too, it would cost more to fix it, sand the bumper, prime and have it repainted vs buying a new bumper. I think it cost around $300 from your local dealer. I looked at buying one for mine to have line-x put on it after I first purchased the vehicle and my dealer quotes me $320.

As far as the sensors, do you the front parking sensors? If so, do they still work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I doesnt have parking sensors so should be good there. If it was only 320 I would be pretty happy. Was that painted?

I think the reason it didn't start is im my panic I prob forgot to dial shift back to park.

If it ends up being over 500 I'll prob start looking into off road bumpers. Appears most are in the 1500 range though. Any off road bumpers sub 1000 that look good?

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After a quick look online looks like go rhino is an option under 1k. Or eBay had painted to match stock bumper covers for under 300. Would rather have a local shop I trust paint it though.

Don't really love most of the off road bumpers I've seen on them. But some of the cleaner ones without grill guards or ranch style look good

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a pretty good dent with tear on my tear bumper from a trailer. After several estimates i finally found a body shop that did bondo/ paint for 400 cash. It looks perfect to me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I replaced my bumper, here just for reference. My choice was a little too heavy imo, look at a sub 200 pound bumper. Hindsight is 20/20, I shouldn't have gotten the full wrap. At that time 4th gens were just out and there was literally 2 options for a 1500. Just find one you like, iron cross makes one, even fab fours makes a good one if you get the stubby looking one. Two tricky parts, the bolts that went from the valance to the fender and putting in fog lights. Other then that, it is simply wrenching bolts.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a pretty good dent with tear on my tear bumper from a trailer. After several estimates i finally found a body shop that did bondo/ paint for 400 cash. It looks perfect to me.

Thanks for the input so far everyone. Wouldnt the rear be metal? This is just the plastic part that tore. Taking it apart now. Don't see anything else other than the plastic that holds the fog got a small crack at one of the connectors and re fog doesn't sit as flush as before. Everything else under looks fine

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced my bumper, here just for reference. My choice was a little too heavy imo, look at a sub 200 pound bumper. Hindsight is 20/20, I shouldn't have gotten the full wrap. At that time 4th gens were just out and there was literally 2 options for a 1500. Just find one you like, iron cross makes one, even fab fours makes a good one if you get the stubby looking one. Two tricky parts, the bolts that went from the valance to the fender and putting in fog lights. Other then that, it is simply wrenching bolts.

I like both those options. I like the tighter to body not over the top ones. Guess depends on cost. If I'm 400 for painted I'll prob re do that. If I'm 800 I'll start considering those

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doesnt have parking sensors so should be good there. If it was only 320 I would be pretty happy. Was that painted?

I think the reason it didn't start is im my panic I prob forgot to dial shift back to park.

If it ends up being over 500 I'll prob start looking into off road bumpers. Appears most are in the 1500 range though. Any off road bumpers sub 1000 that look good?

No, $320 was just the bumper. I would assume it would have cost an extra $300+ to prime, paint, and clear coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I figured. My roomate had his bumper cover repainted for 300. There is a paint shop on eBay that sells color matched bumper covers for 300 total. Has great reviews even though I'd be a bit leery without seeing their work

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love this one but pricey

4gjm0y.jpg

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Love this one but pricey

4gjm0y.jpg

Who makes it? And how much.

There's a site movebumpers.com that has some custom bumpers with kits starting at $395. I live in Hawaii so shipping here sucks, would be worth looking into for you guys in the mainland.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the Fab 4 vengence. Runs about 1500-1900 though. I'll check out that site. Anything that fits tight to the body so it looks like it's meant to be there I like. The the ones with grill guards or sticking out 13 inches from the truck I don't.

Got first quote for new bumper cover, labor, painted and it was $777 and another shop who must be very proud wants $1015

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the more I've looked into this I've found there are a decent amount that don't fit an Express or Sport. I'm assuming because the painted bumper cover set up is different than those with a chrome bumper. I was interested in the GO Rhino but its one of those that doesn't fit an Express or Sport.

Most of the sites don't have search for submodel so its getting annoying finding one I like then having to dive deep into fine print to see if it will work. Anyone know any options with a similar look to what I've posted that will fit a Sport or Express?

I found a somewhat local shop Fusion that builds bumpers and messaged them but haven't heard back nor seen a price yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was pretty leery of doing this but his reviews were overwhelmingly positive so I ended up going cheap and going with the eBay seller that paints to match and ships a bumper. Was 290 shipped and I installed it last night. He claims to do a sealer, 3 coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear coat, has a lifetime warranty against chips, etc.

Was worried it might suck since it was so cheap but paint match is near perfect can't even tell, and the bumper cover fits perfect. Only took like a week or so to get it. Only noticeable difference is the plastic is a bit thinner than the OEM cover but for the price I don't care. Was 1/3-1/4 the price of local shops.