Underbody Saltwater Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking to paint the underbody, chassis, breaks, etc. Truck spends a lot if time in and near saltwater marshes and on the beach. I spend an extensive amount of time rinsing underneath, but am seeing some very small rust spots here and there. I have a lift, so want to go uv resistant as well. This is going to be tedious work, so I only want to do it once. Has anyone who spends a lot of time by saltwater done this and what paint do you suggest. Definitely want something that rinses easy and will still looks good, figure glossing will be in order. Thanks...

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I'm looking to paint the underbody, chassis, breaks, etc. Truck spends a lot if time in and near saltwater marshes and on the beach. I spend an extensive amount of time rinsing underneath, but am seeing some very small rust spots here and there. I have a lift, so want to go uv resistant as well. This is going to be tedious work, so I only want to do it once. Has anyone who spends a lot of time by saltwater done this and what paint do you suggest. Definitely want something that rinses easy and will still looks good, figure glossing will be in order. Thanks...

They guys in NY or the rust belt should easily be able to answer this... The problem, it will not help. I have seen (lived in the mid-Atlantic) many-a-car rusted out even with the "special under coating"

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Even if you do some sort of paint or undercoating I would still be do a lot of rinsing after a day at the ocean. That salt water is the Earth's recycle bin and will eat metal, during my Navy days the Boatswain's Mates were endlessly painting the carrier.

A guy a work who used to go to the beach a few times a week in his Jeep watched his pan disintegrate because he did not rinse.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Farmer Fran. I'm in FL, so it is not like I'm driving salt roads the majority of winter. Once or twice a week, not actually in the water most the time, just on substrate that has saltwater in it (low tide). When I get home, I'll spend 20 minutes rinsing the underbody. As much as I get the truck in the terrain, I'm looking real good after a year with just a few very small rust hazing near some small knobby/curved surfaces or bolted areas. No major corrosion by any means and nothing I cant get rid of with a a couple hours work. With that said, I think a good paint will seal the deal and it will look good, especially since it is lifted. Everything is a little hazy right now, maybe with some gloss that wouldn't be so bad after it is rinsed. It is definitely going to be a paint job I only want to do once, so I want to make sure it is done right. Would like to be able to rinse and it still looks nice and wont have to worry about any rust.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dittos Scott, Im definitely a rinsing freak and on it! Thanks

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Check this stuff out, no prep work and can be applied over existing rust with four color options:
RustProof M/D

Video

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. They make it look good after a brush. Was hoping to spray, but the brushing would eliminate a lot of prep work. I would really like to see that brushed in person to see if it came out nice and flat and even.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks ocwill, Ill take a look. Hoping someone who has done this over a couple years ago can opine and let me know how things have held up..

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks joeygster, will take a look at those brands!

MXM34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you used either of these or know anyone that has MXM34? Thanks!