Vent Caps on Projector Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Express
Engine
So I previously had a set of LED lights that wouldn't fit under my dust covers on my projector headlights, resulting in moisture entering the housing. I've since dried the lights out with a hairdryer. I'm going back to normal halogens in the mean time and am just wondering if I should leave the vent caps closed tight or leave one or all of them open in each projector?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all three on each projector as far out as possible without falling off

JavierMar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m having issues with my 13 headlight as well after installing LED lights they seem to create moisture, are the vents the problem just as explained in this video? Would appreciate a response, Thanks!

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m having issues with my 13 headlight as well after installing LED lights they seem to create moisture, are the vents the problem just as explained in this video? Would appreciate a response, Thanks!

I tried the whole vent cap procedure and still got moisture in my lights as well as my 2500 work truck. I fixed both by taking off the entire light assembly, opening up the back covers and sitting them on top of a transformer(housing is abut 85*) in my building for about 5 hours. Once they were dry, I ran a bead of clear sealant around the seam where the lens and the housing meet. Haven’t had any more moisture since.

Hope this helps.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about for non-projector types? I'm only getting this on the drivers side...

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The theory of vents is that the lights create enough heat to reduce the relative humidity inside the headlight assembly, and the vents allow pressure equalization without sucking in droplets of water from the outside. That's theory. Adding LED's adds possible ways for that to go wrong - the seals may not be a match to factory, the heat needs to be dumped outside the housing (where it won't dry the assembly), and then any other mods to the light assembly itself . . . .

The >85 degree dry-out described above is a good way to get back to "dry", and the sealing technique probably caught some sneaky unsealed spots where liquid water was entering. I used to think that a guy could systematically solve all these things by just "doing it right", but reality is more that we share what worked for us, try it, and keep adjusting until it works.

That's why threads like this are so valuable !

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I would "think" it would happen on both sides though... I don't get the commonality with mostly being the driver's side. At least from what's reported.

I might put my old bulbs back in (don't want to though), and get the moisture out... and see if it comes back with those in there.