video for random dropping tailgate issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You beat me to it! Was going to post about this. Good video and we finally have an answer as to why this is happening.

OP
OP
Mineralram

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You beat me to it! Was going to post about this. Good video and we finally have an answer as to why this is happening.
My dealer oredered me a replacment about 3 weeks ago and i changed it out myself, has been fine ever since

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's not you is it?? Shoot I've used a different tutorial video of his that was super helpful lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Charles Frey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took my 2017 to dealer (9 occurrences of this in the 9k miles I've had it) . Couldn't replicate problem so they couldn't fix. Seems to me there were only two plausible points to consider to figure it out (actuator or pin latches) but laziness is a common trend I'm seeing in vehicle service more frequently. Being dissatisfied with service department, I called FCA voiced my concern and then contacted dealer service department over the unwillingness to research and address. Service immediately ordered actuator assembly yesterday on my recommendation (after having watched this video) and it arrived next today; scheduled for replacement. Contacted FCA HQ and they had no technical service bulletins (TSBs) or recalls. FCA HQ logged the problem and suggested I call NHTSB. Filed a complaint with NHTSB today on the issue to start the trend tracking and eventual action by manufacturer to either publish a TSB or advise customers of the problems. Will post an update.
STRONGLY recommend filing complaints on this issue with FCA Customer Service (1.800.334.9200) AND filing online complaint with NHTSB at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Taking the time to file the complaints helps to mitigate potential liability and drives eventual action by #Fiat-ChryslerAmerica to address through TSBs, recalls, and applicable warranties)

Charles Frey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took my 2017 to dealer (9 occurrences of this in the 9k miles I've had it) . Couldn't replicate problem so they couldn't fix. Seems to me there were only two plausible points to consider to figure it out (actuator or pin latches) but laziness is a common trend I'm seeing in vehicle service more frequently. Being dissatisfied with service department, I called FCA voiced my concern and then contacted dealer service department over the unwillingness to research and address. Service immediately ordered actuator assembly yesterday on my recommendation (after having watched this video) and it arrived next today; scheduled for replacement. Contacted FCA HQ and they had no technical service bulletins (TSBs) or recalls. FCA HQ logged the problem and suggested I call NHTSB. Filed a complaint with NHTSB today on the issue to start the trend tracking and eventual action by manufacturer to either publish a TSB or advise customers of the problems. Will post an update.
STRONGLY recommend filing complaints on this issue with FCA Customer Service (1.800.334.9200) AND filing online complaint with NHTSB at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Taking the time to file the complaints helps to mitigate potential liability and drives eventual action by #Fiat-ChryslerAmerica to address through TSBs, recalls, and applicable warranties)

Reference above post, actuator assembly was replaced. Showed service tech and parts manager the tab that was missing from the assembly they removed from my tailgate.

Harris342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
This is a great video! I was having the same issues and just had mine fixed by the dealership. My truck is just over 10k miles and had this happen about 5 times that I know of. So far so good but keeping an eye on it for now.