Vinyl Wrap in Headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am going to retrofit my headlights when it gets warmer outside and was thinking about maybe using vinyl carbon fiber to black out the inside of my headlights when I do it but have questions on if the heat will effect it any because I know you use heat to put it on. Anyone have anything on this? Thanks

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
HIDs and for sure LEDs run cooler than halogen bulbs. So you might be OK.

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe price out hydro dipping them versus messing with vinyl and making sure it'll lay flat because there are a lot of contours especially in the quad lights.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure it'd be fine but my question is why wouldn't you just use paint? Or dip for that matter?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I second MoparMulisha. I think on that kind of compound surface, hydro-dipping would be the way to go if you wanted a carbon pattern.

In reality though, would you really be able to see the pattern through the distortion of the headlight lens? I think you'd be better off and serve the same purpose simply by painting in a carbon-ish color.

tim57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
I work at sign shop and we do allot of vinyl, custom car wraps to simple lettering and stripping. All vinyl including carbon fiber use an adhesive that is effected by heat. Prolonged heat will dry out the adhesive and cause the carbon fiber to lose adhesion, shrink and curl in time.

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I second MoparMulisha. I think on that kind of compound surface, hydro-dipping would be the way to go if you wanted a carbon pattern.

In reality though, would you really be able to see the pattern through the distortion of the headlight lens? I think you'd be better off and serve the same purpose simply by painting in a carbon-ish color.

May be one of the less is more kind of visual mods where it looks black from afar but then when you get close it'll pop and everyone will talk about it. Lol kind of like headlights but carbon fiber stands out less than camouflage. I'd go for it, I spent $100 to have the pair dipped but I had to bake/dismantle the lights and just take them the chrome bezels.

Another option would be to paint the housings flat black and see if they make carbon fiber projector housings.

OP
OP
M

Muddy13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now y'all got me thinking haha I might contact the guy who dipped my deer scull and see what he'd charge to do it... I never even though of that

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Maybe price out hydro dipping them versus messing with vinyl and making sure it'll lay flat because there are a lot of contours especially in the quad lights.

You just gave me a idea. Since my friend hydrodips.
He did my dash and various parts on my GTP

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Wrapping won't hold up to the complex curves and heat. Hydro dipping is the best option. But hydro dipping carbon fiber looks like ass. It's the 2D printed version of overlapping gradients. They are unable to dip the new 3/4/5D vinyl style carbon fiber which I use a lot and it's hard to tell it's not carbon fiber.

So for carbon fiber and dip I vote don't do it. Basically all other designs come out good tho on dip.

I still feel some sort of paint match always brings it all together even if it's just alittle.